Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How good are "Rarity" and "exclusivity" for a tracker

ScottK's Avatar Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    SSl is just another method of protection besically from ISP of userbase, and have nothing to do with real security of any site.
    And if you look a bit more carefully, then you can see 2 most popular 0day trackers, TL & IPT don't have any ssl at all.
    i didnt talk about security here. but about original topic. im responding to 1st post.
    TL & IPT dont have any ssl, so because of that they have average 100k userbase? or you can take What.CD too?
    unlike FtN which using ssl, i doubt they can do that if they have 100k userbase?
    idk about this server load or stuff, but i think fundamental is, more server = more money
    Last edited by ScottK; 01-04-2011 at 06:51 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I'm sure most sites don't close to become more rare. They close for other reasons. The two easiest to list are security and resources. There are probably other reasons too, but not having run a tracker, I'm not sure what they would be.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Expeto's Avatar current user title
    Some of the exclusive trackers are very happy as they are.Their community is nice and active, they just don't want to risk it by allowing new people in. They simply don't care about member count or the cash, they are just happy as they are.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Interesting topic this one and I guess there are many proper answers to the question as I guess most trackers have their own reasons for shutting the doors and I would think the exclusive trackers do not realy want to be exclusive and talked about they sooner just be getting on with what they do for the members they have.
    There are many closed trackers that are very rarely mentioned on here at all and I expect they are more pleased about than the ones that people are begging to get in are about been chatted about every where.
    There also seems to be a new tracker of one sort opening up every day and all trying to get new members some make it and become succesful at maintain an active user base with the sorts of people that they want as members other fade away or their is a squabble between them and this then splits in to 2 or more trackerss trying to get most the users that where origionally with the 1st tracker.
    I have not been about for the last 12 months due to personal issues and have had my accounts pruned at the so called exclusive hard to get trackers which to be fair is not some thing I am overly worried about, yes it would be nice to be back in them but there are other trackers about that fit my needs

There is a post about communities in trackers and some of the smaller trackers I find have this better than likes of ipt and tl the people on them know one another a lot better and become real friends in life rather than just a name in a forum. In the past. Several years ago I ran chat rooms and some of the smaller torrent sites with shout box's do tend to have that feel with the advantage of the torrents to get. Having also been involved with DC++ in the past I know find that these trackers can be a great way to get to know people as real friends. So saying that a site is better for being exclusive and closed to keep the great community together to me is a load of as there are many trackers about where you can find what you are looking for in a community than using one the the elite/exclusive trackers
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    gamesover's Avatar Panda BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckater View Post

There is a post about communities in trackers and some of the smaller trackers I find have this better than likes of ipt and tl the people on them know one another a lot better and become real friends in life rather than just a name in a forum. In the past. Several years ago I ran chat rooms and some of the smaller torrent sites with shout box's do tend to have that feel with the advantage of the torrents to get. Having also been involved with DC++ in the past I know find that these trackers can be a great way to get to know people as real friends. So saying that a site is better for being exclusive and closed to keep the great community together to me is a load of as there are many trackers about where you can find what you are looking for in a community than using one the the elite/exclusive trackers
    If you like a good shoutbox I think I know a tracker that might be a good fit for you. It's a small tracker but you couldn't tell that from all the people chatting there. Pm me if your interested

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Poster
    Maybe that its teh fact that when they have less members, theres less risk of legal trouble

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorx View Post
    Maybe that its teh fact that when they have less members, theres less risk of legal trouble
    Its the content, not the number of members that is the main cause of trouble for trackers..
    You seem to missed that
    Teh n00b.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Its probably a bit of both.

If the powers that be are in them, then

A small tracker with a new release before pre date (ripped by a member not so much scene) then they could be in trouble.
    but
    a small tracker that only gets a handful of snatches on torrents, because they havnt got many members = probably safe (or safer anyway) even if they have 10,000 torrents.

a big tracker that gets a lot of snatches on each torrent, in the 1000`s is probably a target even if they dont get stuff uploaded before pre from their members.

most of the time trackers get busted because of the pre aspect, elitetorrents for star wars workprint, oink for the 11 or 12 pre release albums that were uploaded (or at least thats the main reason if not the only reason that was giving at the time), but then you have TPB just for the amount of peers/snatches, i havnt used it in years but i bet they dont get that many releases before pre, and then mininova for just linking to copyrighted material (torrents, they had their own tracker but 99.9% of the torrents were from other sites), but again number of peers on those torrents is what brought them to their knees.

I personally dont really see the point of a small tracker, and bringing comminity into it is a bit wrong if you ask me, you still just get the usual 20-30 members posting in the forums, same as uploading content and talking in IRC (i am not talking idling) it just seems like there is more because there are less members. But its up to the staff of that tracker what they want out of it, if they dont want loads in then tough on you if you are not in, I personally dont think its got anything to do with exclusivity or security, tbh it can work against the smaller trackers.

I dont know the whole story, and if i am talking bollocks i apologise now, but i believe a member of UK-T was arrested for selling DVDs, so they closed the site because of it (I may just have dreamt that though so its not 100% gospel), if a member of TL/IPT gets arrested for that, the staff never even hear about it, and if they did, probably wouldnt care anyway.

anyway will leave it there been up all night playing GT5 (should have been the Ashes but we won ) and knackered.
    Last edited by stoi; 01-07-2011 at 01:56 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    I personally dont really see the point of a small tracker, and bringing comminity into it is a bit wrong if you ask me, you still just get the usual 20-30 members posting in the forums, same as uploading content and talking in IRC (i am not talking idling) it just seems like there is more because there are less members.
    Unfortunately I've come to the realization that is very true . People that believe in the existence of true "community " at any tracker as deluding themselves .The fact that they feature more prominently at smaller tracker is simply a matter of math.
    Actually the smaller sites are just as if not more so frustrating than the bigger ones since the onus is supposedly more on each member to actively contribute and except for ,as Stoi said , the same 20-30 (usually everyplace ) are the only ones to . That gets old very, fast , especially when most never had anything interesting to say in the first place.
    After a while I basically give up in frustration as I'm sure many other people do as well.
    My advice join sites for their content , if you happen to find "friends" there look at it as simply a bonus and consider yourself very, very fortunate .
    Respect my lack of authority.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12