Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: yet another new tracker, sort of

hi guys

I'm looking for some beta testers for my new tracker-ish site. Anyone interested? here's the link: www.flashseed.com

it's a bit different from your usual tracker:
    - it's a public tracker (anyone can sign up)
    - uploads are stored on our servers and web-seeded
    - only upload counts toward your ratio
    - seeding gets you points, which you can "spend" on direct downloads (carrot instead of stick)

what do you guys think, is it a good idea? :]

anyways, the servers are wide open since there are no users. You can probably max out your pipes both ways if you upload something. Let me know if you find any bugs
    Last edited by Jack000; 01-08-2011 at 06:48 AM. Reason: better title

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I think that if you're storing each upload on your server:
    A) It's gonna run out of space if the site gets popular.
    B) You leave the legal gray area from within which a tracker operates. Now you're knowingly hosting the actual copyrighted content and could get in serious trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Bionic's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Your site shows that files are gonna be hosted on your server. Like what he mentioned above^.

1. Problems
    2. We're doing torrents here, peer-peer
    3. Wish you best of luck mate
    Twitter: @alhassoni
    Stay tuned. I could say something brilliant at any moment.

DL Speed: 1MBps | UL Speed: 228KBps

Speaks: English, Arabic, German, Tagalog(Filipino), Spanish and Chinese

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    there's a time limit for each seed, so once they're done it gets booted off the server.

the site will be legal (no illegal files!). I will be using the same filtering techniques as rapidshare et al.

it is a torrent site, but better!

also, from my logs some people seem to be confused. You upload CONTENT files, not .torrent files!

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    gamesover's Avatar Panda BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack000 View Post

the site will be legal (no illegal files!).
    No illegal files? So what are we talking about then.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    PerMaFrOsT's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    there's a time limit for each seed, so once they're done it gets booted off the server.

the site will be legal (no illegal files!). I will be using the same filtering techniques as rapidshare et al.

also, from my logs some people seem to be confused. You upload CONTENT files, not .torrent files!
    Probably this services would get more users if you host the files in offshore servers
    Last edited by PerMaFrOsT; 01-07-2011 at 07:54 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7

"I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Bionic's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post

We starting? lol
    We just need Scott in here
    Twitter: @alhassoni
    Stay tuned. I could say something brilliant at any moment.

DL Speed: 1MBps | UL Speed: 228KBps

Speaks: English, Arabic, German, Tagalog(Filipino), Spanish and Chinese

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    So a user uploads something legal, you make a torrent and put it on your "tracker" where you seed it to whoever wants it (from your servers), if a user seeds for long enough something they have downloaded, they get bonus points, to get a direct download, off the same servers that are hosting the content in the first place, so will get fast speed either way? so whats the point of seeding.

or is it

user uploads something legal to your server, you make a torrent, the user gets credit for uploading the content, the torrents are on a 10meg server, but what he is getting bonus points for is stuff on a gbit server, which is different content albeit still legal.

Personally i cant see either working. 99% of people just want stuff, they cant be arsed to give back anything (and most of those not even bandwidth never mind new content)

and a perfect example of what a "legal" site looks like

http://www.mininova.org/

it just doesnt really work, unless you have made a program (linux is a good example) and want to get it out to the masses with very little bw usage (and it already has a huge following), but if its just a tracker with nothing to give other than what other people legaly give you, its just doomed to failiure if you ask me.

Good luck anyway , I hope you prove me wrong.
    Last edited by stoi; 01-07-2011 at 08:12 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    I'm good for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by PerMaFrOsT View Post
    Probably this services would get more users if you host the files in offshore servers
    I love how people comment saying "use offshore servers", obviously being clueless as to how poor a network all offshore/tax free jurisdictions (usually one and the same) have, and in turn the high cost of bandwidth and very sh*t peering.

Trust me, if hosting companies, like LeaseWeb (NL), in Europe can't even provide decent speeds to the US, then what chance does the Cayman Islands have?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast