Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Border Trash

I know the liberals on this forum couldn't care less about the economic impact, state budget depletion, criminal costs and societal and demographic change issues associated with illegal immigration, but let's see what they think of the impact it makes on the environment. Most liberals seem to also be very concerned with the environment. Will they care about this?

http://azbordertrash.gov/about.html

What is Arizona Border Trash?

Border trash refers to items discarded by persons involved in illegal immigration such as plastic containers, clothing, backpacks, foodstuffs, vehicles, bicycles, and paper. It can also consist of human waste and sometimes medical products.

The collection and disposal of waste in remote areas along Arizona's 370-mile border with Mexico poses difficult challenges. An estimated more than 2,000 tons of trash is discarded annually in Arizona's borderlands. A variety of federal and state government entities, Native American tribes and private landowners are affected by the problem, and addressing it requires extensive coordination.

The environmental impact caused by illegal immigration, and the trash left behind, is increasingly being found in areas that are more fragile and remote.

Characterizing the Impact

Accumulated border trash has been shown to affect human health, the environment and economic wellbeing. Impacts include:

•Strewn trash and piles
    •Illegal trails and paths
    •Erosion and watershed degradation
    •Damaged infrastructure and property
    •Loss of vegetation and wildlife
    •Campfires and escaped fires
    •Abandoned vehicles and bicycles
    •Vandalism, graffiti and site damage (historical and archaeological)
    •Occurrence of bio-hazardous waste
    Quantifying the Impact

Apprehensions of individuals by the U.S. Border Patrol as a result of illegal immigration vary every year. Current Border Patrol statistics indicate that about 110,000 border crossers will be captured during the current fiscal year, which ended Sept. 30, and doesn't count the many others who get through. The border crossers leave approximately six to eight pounds of trash in the desert during his or her journey. The cost of disposing of this trash is high for local communities. Landfill fees range from $37 to $49 per ton in Southern Arizona. These fees do not include costs for materials, equipment, labor and transportation for the collection and transfer of the trash to the landfill
    Last edited by 999969999; 01-07-2011 at 08:26 PM.
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    I know the liberals on this forum couldn't care less about the economic impact, state budget depletion, criminal costs and societal and demographic change issues associated with illegal immigration,

If it wasn't for those very issues the USA wouldn't exist today

Apprehensions of individuals by the U.S. Border Patrol as a result of illegal immigration vary every year. Current Border Patrol statistics indicate that about 110,000 border crossers will be captured during the current fiscal year, which ended Sept. 30, and doesn't count the many others who get through. The border crossers leave approximately six to eight pounds of trash in the desert during his or her journey. The cost of disposing of this trash is high for local communities. Landfill fees range from $37 to $49 per ton in Southern Arizona. These fees do not include costs for materials, equipment, labor and transportation for the collection and transfer of the trash to the landfill
    110,000 captured per year. That's an average of 2115 per week, 301 per day, and you say there is no effort to enforce the border? Is that just AZ or coast to coast?
    When I was a kid I was told "We do these things not because they're easy, but because they're hard"

Now all I hear is " I won't do anything unless there's something in it for me"

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    You are the one who insists that they walk, 9's. Jeesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I think it's hilarious that you've tried to tie environmental concerns to illegal immigration.
    Arizona is so bankrupt it can barely collect trash in the cities, much less the desert.
    The whole state has been a laboratory for the far right and it (along with Texas) just previews what damage "conservative" policies will wreck on the rest of the country.
    Last edited by clocker; 01-10-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Yeah, who cares about the environment as long as the destruction is being caused by illegal immigration, right?

But if Arizona wanted to build another dam or build a new power generating station, you would be all upset about it because it might hurt some cactus or a lizzard.

The silence from groups like the Sierra Club about this destruction of the fragile desert wilderness is deafening.
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    惡魔的提倡者
    Advertise the land as prime trailer park lots. You wouldn't have to clear up that way
    When I was a kid I was told "We do these things not because they're easy, but because they're hard"

Now all I hear is " I won't do anything unless there's something in it for me"

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    ... if Arizona wanted to build another dam or build a new power generating station...
    Dude, your state is BROKE, you can't even afford to keep highway rest stops open and have sold off the damn capitol building, so the chances of building any dams is about zero.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    ... if Arizona wanted to build another dam or build a new power generating station...
    Dude, your state is BROKE, you can't even afford to keep highway rest stops open and have sold off the damn capitol building, so the chances of building any dams is about zero.
    Ha! You heard about that?! It's true. The only rest stop between Eagar and Phoenix (a 217 mile journey) was recently closed. But hey, that's why saguaros have all those yellow stains on them. That's all they're good for anyways.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    [QUOTE=999969999;3550716]
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    But hey, that's why saguaros have all those yellow stains on them. That's all they're good for anyways.
    So much for your "conservationist" pose.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Hey dude, I never claimed to be a conservationist. But liberals do. Selectively. When it furthers their cause.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast