Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to setup what I think is a NAS*HELP*

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    In short I want to keep one computer to have all the movies on so that the relatives on 2 other floors can watch them as well using the WDTV live and I don't have to worry about shutting my computer off. I want it to be like what I believe a NAS to be but I don't want to spend a couple hundred when I have enough parts to build 2 computers just sitting there.

I will probably use these parts.

TJ07 case (big enough to hold tons of HDDS)

Gigabyet GA-EP45-UD3R

Either a q6600 or a E8400 prob the 6600 though

4 gigs of Gskill ram

A bunch of different HDDS

So will this work the way i want it to? I plan on installing Windows server 2008 will this be what I need to do?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    That is a terminal case of overkill bud. I'm going to say a swear word now, but it is one that is a gigantic hardware saving. The swear word is Linux, or more specifically a Linux distro called FreeNAS. The beauty of this distro is it does exactly what a Linux based NAS box does ,it sets up a NAS on the network, all you need to run it is a single core processor of 800Mhz or better and 128MB RAM. The beauty of this config is you simply install PCI SATA controllers to your hearts content to add drives in a JBOD configuration. This way any old drive will do.
    Windows Server 2008 as a media server is not my first choice, seriously. If you want to experiment with a server I understand, but you have a learning curve and for all resources to be available to clients they will have to join the Domain of the Server, which requires client logon and authentication, which just to serve media is as I said overkill.
    There are many ways to relieve a feline of it's fur, but this way is a long winded one at best.
    Here is an article on tomshardware answering a question identical to yours, it's worth a read :
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25...-ubuntu-server

Heres a linky to the system specs needed:
    http://dailycupoftech.com/freenas-sy...-requirements/
    Last edited by Artemis; 02-17-2010 at 08:54 AM.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks for the reply bud. I'll try linux if it works better sure. As far as the hardware goes. I don't own any single core CPU's ATM. I don't want to buy anything unless I need to so I'll throw in what I have laying around here. These parts just happen to be part of my tech mania and so they are all decent.
    The thing I do not have is a STAT controller do I need one or can I use the MoBo's on board one? I'm pretty sure it can do JBOD. Also do I have to do that as well? What I wanted initially is to have different disks for different things like Movies>Music>Pics etc. so they would stay separate.

you will need to run a CIF/Samba client to allow Windows to read the disks
    WTF is CIF/Samba client??
    Last edited by Detale; 02-17-2010 at 06:34 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Your questions in order. You don't have to run a single core processor or anything, it is just a waste of the gear you have (Quad core CPU's & 4GB of RAM etc) they could be far better used elsewhere.Since this machine is going to be running 24/7 the best thing to do is buy a 2nd hand server. A small workgroup server i.e a standard tower case design not a large rack server is great for this task since they are built to run 24/7 with stronger PSU's etc, and the bonus is they are cheap as chips.

This is why I was suggesting PCI SATA controllers they could be added to a machine like this very easily. This was also my reasoning behind JBOD you could configure multiple disks into a JBOD array and use anything lying around. If you have alot of 1TB disks lying around from your tech mania too then this is redundant.
    You can still by all means build a quad core 4GB server running FreeNAS if you wish, it's just that the FreeNAS appliance O/S does not support SMP or address more than 256MB of RAM so 3 cores and 3.75GB of RAM are going to be doing fuck all!

(Actually while I am saying all this it is dawning on me that this is a nice cheap way for me to solve my own NAS woes, I've run a FreeNAS server before I just thought I was clever with a NAS box, now I'm not so sure.)
    You can definitely dedicate different disks or disk arrays to different tasks on FreeNAS, in fact you have far more client control with FreeNAS than you would simply purchasing a NAS box, the firmware on a NAS unless it is a more expensive one is very limited.
    Your leftovers would be far better used in a dedicated media center than in a FreeNAS appliance.

Samba is a slow rhythmic latin dance.....
    You asked, I couldn't resist. SaMBa is parlance for SMB or Server Block Messaging. It is a network protocol, you do not have to worry about whether your PC is configured or needs to be configured for SaMBa, it is part of the default protocols on Windows 7 and your machine(s) will automatically recognise the NAS box.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thanks again Art. Honestly I don't even know where to begin on looking for a used server AT ALL. If they are cheap as you say maybe I'll just get one of them. I'm searching Craigslist and Ebay but I still have no idea what I'm looking at. Is this for me or no? Then I came across this offer on CL as well

dual xeon 3.02 ghz IBM server for $140. I emailed the guy for exact specs but again I have no clue what i'm looking for here I'm lost (Oh god, let the jokes fly)

Also could I, instead of building a system from what I have, use an old crappy computer like this one and just use that instead??

Also there's
    Last edited by Detale; 02-18-2010 at 02:50 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    That Dell 600SC you linked me to is exactly the kind of server I was talking about and would be perfect for the task although the listing did not list the the CPU speed or type on the server ?
    It supports both SCSI (2)? and 3 IDE channels but I doubt you still have an IDE drive lying around, so the beauty is you can also install SATA controller(s) into this machine, and if you wish you can set up a JBOD array. Something like this is ideal, along with similar offerings from IBM, HP etc.
    This would be ideal as a NAS box, although if it may also need a Gigabit NIC as well to improve throughput.
    No jokes here, this is a serious inquiry and I'm glad to help, workgroup servers like these used to be my bread & butter and I know their advantages in running 24/7 as you plan to do with a NAS.
    Last edited by Artemis; 02-18-2010 at 10:31 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    For my personal media server I use FreeNAS (http://freenas.org/).

It is a tiny OS dedicated and revolving around NAS. You can run it off a bootable CD, USB stick, or install onto a hdd partition. It supports SSH, FTP, Samba, etc. basically anything you would want your server to do.

It's quite easy to set up and has a decent sized userbase with new versions released regularly.

Mine runs headless 24/7 and It's been running on the same old P4 for over 5 years now. It rarely requires attention or maintenance.
    Last edited by lee551; 02-19-2010 at 04:20 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    OK bud here are the specs for the 600sc cpu is 1.7Ghz

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...234aa0.htm#103

Should I go for it you think?

About this FreeNAS do I install it on a hd or what? I downloaded the latest version but how would I install from a USB? Do I simply move the files or?

Also with that I will need a SATA card buut if I am reading right a PCI one? Like this one here
    SYBA SY-PCI40010 PCI SATA II Controller Card
    Last edited by Detale; 02-19-2010 at 05:28 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    About this FreeNAS do I install it on a hd or what? I downloaded the latest version but how would I install from a USB? Do I simply move the files or?
    To install to a USB you need to install the OS first to disk (or VM would work great) and then there is an option in the main menu to install to a USB stick.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Thanks, disk should be fine though. Do you happen to know if that SATA card will work with that server?

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast