Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fileserve And Hotfile Are They Safe To Use

mike160's Avatar Old School
    hi does anyone here know anything about theses filehosting sites are they safe to use to upload to them like music and movies theses are the ones am talking about

http://www.fileserve.com/

http://hotfile.com/

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    GreenTea's Avatar 99.9% SHY BT Rep: +2
    I download stuff from these sites; generally safe.
    Although once in a while, some files get deleted because of copyright issues (usually because the legal owners/creators reported them, etc).

I normally use jDownloader to queue my files, it does all the waiting for you.
    All I need to do is input the captcha each time a file is being downloaded.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    No

Quote Originally Posted by Torrentfreak

Hotfile, 1000 Users and PayPal Named In Piracy Lawsuit
    Liberty Media, the company involved in achieving the largest headline settlement against a BitTorrent user last month, has widened its net to include cyberlocker-based infringement. The movie studio has now filed suit against file-hosting site Hotfile and 1000 of its users.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    No way of downloading is 100% safe, but HF and FS are definitely much safer than torrents, specially public ones, since you don't have to upload and get the files from a single server.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    this has me a little worry now

Originally Posted by Torrentfreak

Hotfile, 1000 Users and PayPal Named In Piracy Lawsuit
    Liberty Media, the company involved in achieving the largest headline settlement against a BitTorrent user last month, has widened its net to include cyberlocker-based infringement. The movie studio has now filed suit against file-hosting site Hotfile and 1000 of its users.

so is it safer then torrent sites and all other p2p programs that ppl use to download and upload caues this does not look good (Hotfile, 1000 Users and PayPal Named In Piracy Lawsuit) dont want this to happen to me
    Last edited by mike160; 01-22-2011 at 06:46 PM.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mike160 View Post
    so is it safer then torrent sites and all other p2p programs that ppl use to download and upload caues this does not look good (Hotfile, 1000 Users and PayPal Named In Piracy Lawsuit) dont want this to happen to me
    You're much safer using file hosters than with torrents. That's for sure.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    ok thanks anon-sbi

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    johhny's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    hotfile keep it strong...... and win the process

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Speedo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The only problem with these servers is that they have your banking information. That includes vpn, fileservers, newsgroups and others. I would not recommend the service to far from my home in that regard. I pay my isp to keep me online and I know where they are. I would have big doubts with routing my traffic through another service run by people I can not meet in person if I tried to. The security that I will supposedly find in them, is not to be hold personally accountable if any of your information leaks. My isp, will since we're in the same country and they don't want me mad, do their best to hold on to my traffic data as long as they can. And if I'm lucky, they delete it all before ant government officials or hackers get them.

But, by all means, give another shout out to opendns, and googledns. Let them know every address of every webpage you ever visit. Who is google? we know that already. Who is opendns?

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    But, by all means, give another shout out to opendns, and googledns. Let them know every address of every webpage you ever visit. Who is google? we know that already. Who is opendns?
    This is what OpenDNS's privacy policy says about logs:
    Spoiler: Show

And this is what Google's says about their service:
    Spoiler: Show

I don't think OpenDNS is an angel while Google is not, but it's about choosing the lesser of two evils. And maybe there's another great service that doesn't keep any logs whatsoever, but I don't know about it, while I do know about OpenDNS, and it's the fastest and most reliable one I've tried.

Also, I've found a program called Acrylic DNS Cache which reduces the amount of data they can mine from you that way. It's a local DNS server that caches entries across restarts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast