Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "100% Completion" - You've got some nerve, Giganews!

Laugh

100% Completion my arse.
    Its more like 80% or less with numerous DMCA take downs.

Instead of doing something to save the company from bad fame and
    embarrassment, leading to a decrease in a user base, perhaps moving servers
    to DMCA free zone as well as their office, they introduce one of the worst
    newsreaders out there just to increase or to keep high the price and change completion from 99% to 100%
    Pathetic

It WILL be worse in the near future considering dmca mafia actions.
    ..and people wouldnt want to pay for false advertising and articles they
    cant get. No use for that kind of retention if the articles are not there.

The crippled father's bastards:

SuperNews

PowerUsenet

II
    II
    II
    V

AVOID
    Last edited by Hypatia; 01-20-2011 at 12:48 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Waddafocky's Avatar dvd BT Rep: +1
    Make that GigaNERVE.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Giganews bad mkay.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    100% Completion my arse.

newsreaders out there just to increase or to keep high the price and change completion from 99% to 100%
    Pathetic

[B][CENTER]

WTF are you going on about? I've used GN for around 4 years and have never had problems. My completion rate essentially 100% on everything I download. Every time. What are you unable to download?
    Last edited by Skiz; 01-20-2011 at 04:31 AM.

yo

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    SKiz, if you dont happen to download stuff they take down that doesnt mean they dont take it down. Mostly its TV series, movies that are considered to be popular, xbox360 games.

Ive been with them for years and i clearly see the difference . Mostly DMCA take downs affect files in a way that from all of them 1 block is removed. Sometimes you can repair them, but sometimes not.Especially if there are 2 blocks removed. Several times i couldnt download some games totally. xbox360 game, 2 disc. What left of 2 DVD was 28 mb each.
    And dont even talk about reposting. Stuff dont always get reposted. Besides i didnt subscribe to pay that kind of money for constant repairing and looking for reposted stuff
    .No, thank you very much.

Make that GigaNERVE.
    GigABUSE.

Abusing my nerves, my time, my patience, my customer's loyalty and bending over to ABUSE leters.

PS just a few examples. i dont have time to check everything out.
    Spoiler: Show
    Last edited by Hypatia; 01-20-2011 at 09:38 AM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    100% Completion my arse.

Pathetic

[B][CENTER]

WTF are you going on about? I've used GN for around 4 years and have never had problems. My completion rate essentially 100% on everything I download. Every time. What are you unable to download?
    Try downloading HBO shows over 100 days old. Try the first episode of "Boardwalk Empire" which is a little over 100 days.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Seldom have an issue with Usenetserver, which is really interesting because they are a third of the price of Giganews - Oh well, thank goodness for cheap usenet...
    Digital World...You can't handle the Digital World! What did your Mom buy you a PUTER for Christmas!
    http://usenetgeeks.com

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nntpjunkie View Post
    Seldom have an issue with Usenetserver, which is really interesting because they are a third of the price of Giganews - Oh well, thank goodness for cheap usenet...
    Same experience with Thundernews. Have only been with them since November last year and so far haven't had a post that wouldn't complete ...touch wood. Easily the best 5 bucks a month I spend.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post

Try downloading HBO shows over 100 days old. Try the first episode of "Boardwalk Empire" which is a little over 100 days.
    Actually it can happen after just a few days, I don't think it has to be as old as 100 days.
    And yes it definitely happens. Some nerve they have claiming 100%.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    A couple of things:

I've spent a fair amount of time thinking about the possibility of some usenet server 'service' doing this several years ago, and there are several ways it really doesn't work (to prevent the d/l and extraction of the data).

First, usenet is an electronic bucket brigade. The only real way to 'stop' something is if it's being posted to your specific server (the origin), and it is 'caught' right at the time it's posted. Otherwise, in a few seconds, out it goes to your peers and anyone with a secondary 'fills' account will get a (near) perfect copy. Secondly, if you do any other 'nasty' things to the files, and if the poster provided authenticity information to the RAR archive, the RAR archive s/w will toss what you've attempted to mess with into mr. bit bucket.

In all the years I used Giganews, I had (and used) at least one if not two fills accounts, where if I got any bad transmissions, the newsreader s/w would automatically try and get a 'perfect' copy from one of the other servers.

I'm sure that any 'takedown notices' aren't counted in that '100%' figure...!

But from a practical standpoint, no matter how diligent any 'organization' is in sending out DMCA letters, by the time the 'send' key it hit on the email, it's all over with. The peering will have that file across the planet every which way from sunday, across more international borders that one can count, that it's an exercise in futility.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast