Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What the F is Frostwire?

Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I've been noticing that a lot of my clients seem to have this program on their computers. Up until a month or so ago I've never even heard of it. How good is the program? Is worth my time checking out or is it another limewire flavor that's riddled with viruses? How well does it stackup to other filesharing methods?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    it's a limewire clone.you know, the thing recently shut down?.and it's as much "riddled with viruses" as any public torrent site.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    The program is better than limewire was in the last year-year and a half. You just have to watch what you download... (Ie. file extension and size)
    They both operate on the Gnutella network which means same content.

*note* that the official limewire has shut down. There is some new limewire pirate edition that is out though, that I have yet to try....

It is defintally another "limewire flavor" though. It operates exactly like limewire and even looks like it with a blue tint lol.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 01-28-2011 at 01:51 AM.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    It's a Limewire fork with some extra functionality and the "PRO" options all unlocked. It obviously runs on the same network, meaning you should stay away from it as much as with the original thing. Get Ares if you want a similar solution with less fakes.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I figured as much. Thanks dudes!
    See ya in another life, brother.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    GreenTea's Avatar 99.9% SHY BT Rep: +2
    Am curious about the Limewire Pirate edition too.
    I wonder if anyone here can comment about it.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    I'm good for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by slocker View Post
    it's a limewire clone.you know, the thing recently shut down?.and it's as much "riddled with viruses" as any public torrent site.
    Lies and BS. Gnutella network is a free-for-all for any noob filesharer, pedo, hacker, or trollers. BitTorrent system is far more effective in rooting out this sh1te due to web-based communities which form around sharing.

Stay away from Frostwire, or any other Gnutella network application, and you'll save your self a lot of time removing virii.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    Well, if you're going to use a sort of LimeWire, it's crucial not to download files containing executable elements (it is best to exclude WMA as well due to DRM features that can trick you into executing code) and not to download titles that look auto-generated or like trash.

If you follow these guidelines, after all this is for music files and it's not a problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by geff_chang View Post
    Am curious about the Limewire Pirate edition too.
    I wonder if anyone here can comment about it.
    It looked like the pro edition with the loading screen showing the "LOL, LIMEWIRE"-pirate sketch.
    I'm not sure about the AVG Anti-Virus feature, it was included as was in the Pro version of the program but probably wouldn't update at all.

If you're going to use an application like this, I can only follow anon's advice to use Aresgalaxy instead. Gnutella is a ghost-ship for quite some time with mostly spambots and the like left.

You can still have good luck, but what you could find is most likely also on Ares. If you're going to test it anyways respectively compare them, you should just use FrostWire on this side instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanka113 View Post
    I've been noticing that a lot of my clients seem to have this program on their computers. Up until a month or so ago I've never even heard of it.
    I wonder why this is the case. Are this public torrents where you see Frostys in the peers?

The program is around since 2006 or something, so this can't be it. If you'd search for a replacement limewire, then why were there no limewire clients before, but frostys now?

It is all kinda confusing. It would be interesting to see if they follow a common location.
    * this would indicate a popular site directs people into this direction, or maybe
    * common BitTorrent clients are blocked, while FrostWire for some reason isn't.

Maybe it's a custom build, changing the connection behaviour to evade something. Because usually, one able to add torrents would be able to get a dedicated torrent application as well.
    Last edited by Sonnentier; 01-29-2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Frostwire/gnutella is still good for certain things, but as others have mentioned, it's best to be very cautious when using it for filesharing. It's been that way, IMO, since it began. Still, it's always good to have another tool in the hardware shed of filesharing.

You can always try Ares instead, or one of the myriad of vkontakte clients like what Mulve was (BTW, anybody know of a good one right now?)

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Just out of curiosity ... What can be found on Limewire/Frostwire that can't be found on BT, Usenet or DDL (combined) ???
    Can you feel the LOVE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast