Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: funds info from a concerned what.cd VIP

Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    unfortunately, it is not their money.
    I thought it became theirs after you donated or something.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3

I don't think you understand one bit of what happened, neither do you understand the concept of donation.
    Ellipses go here.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rings View Post
    I don't think you understand one bit of what happened, neither do you understand the concept of donation.
    I posted just after reading the 1st post. Later when I read all the posts the situation become more clear to me.
    concept of donation ---> to be very honest, all of us are human. Their is nothing like 'donation' everywhere.
    Back to bt: When one sysop starts a tracker he spend some amount of money from his own pocket. So, it is completely fair to take back the same amount of money(+interest maybe) from donation, and there is nothing wrong in it. But again: 'all of us are human'. Call it a mistake or greed once anyone start to make profit, he/she just can't stop him/herself from doing that.. I hope you already got my point.
    Teh n00b.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    whatcdfan's Avatar A.W.A BT Rep: +2
    When one sysop starts a tracker he spend some amount of money from his own pocket. So, it is completely fair to take back the same amount of money(+interest maybe) from donation, and there is nothing wrong in it. But again: 'all of us are human'. Call it a mistake or greed once anyone start to make profit, he/she just can't stop him/herself from doing that.. I hope you already got my point.
    Members donate so that staff can continue to run the service.They shouldn't intend to use the donations or any part of it for their personal use, if staff has put in some money to start a tracker so the members also have put in their hard work to make it a place it is and have taken burden of expenses on their own shoulders.

everyone on the torrenting scene should realize that private Bt is not a business and it cant be, If someone is intending to make profits they would be better of to a P2L or legal downloading sites.

Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Actually strange as it might seem, what ( no pun intended ) do you really expect from people who have made stealing from others ( the musicians ) almost an art form in itself anyway - ethics ?
    Deserve to be sigged.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarkial View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post

I got this off a hidden spy cam.Mystery solved.

Attachment 65417
    Is that The Informant? If it it, how was the movie?
    It is and it's a bit of a mess , as it can't make up it's mind whether it wants to be funny or serious. Damon's good though if disturbing with the extra weight and moustache.
    Hard to believe this is the same guy from the Bourne films .It's like the last 30 years of Mel Gibson's life was condensed into a couple of months.
    Respect my lack of authority.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckater View Post
    To mean torrenting means sharing, but clearly that ethic of this animal has altered far from that in some circles
    Yup, What.cd has transcended being just a hobby for a couple people playing sysops. It's making history imo.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Intr4ns1t's Avatar Pro-antinegativist BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    Members donate so that staff can continue to run the service.They shouldn't intend to use the donations or any part of it for their personal use, if staff has put in some money to start a tracker so the members also have put in their hard work to make it a place it is and have taken burden of expenses on their own shoulders.

everyone on the torrenting scene should realize that private Bt is not a business and it cant be, If someone is intending to make profits they would be better of to a P2L or legal downloading sites.
    Actually, everyone on the torrent scene should realize that trackers are a business, and require funds to operate. There are economics involved whether you want there to be or not, and if you feel there should always be improvements on trackers, those sites must profit, to enact said improvements. And if you think it's the sysops responsibility to pay out of pocket on top of the thousands of hours it takes to set up, grow, and maintain a site, then you really have less respect for staffers than you should.

If you like your site, and have the finances to support it, donate. If not, don't blame the owners when it goes down for lack of finances, and don't come to FST whining about how the staff should do more for you. Every single thing they have done for you, they have, almost universally, taken a loss to do with no return except the satisfaction of making other peoples lives easier and more enjoyable.

And that's the truth. I know I have given a lot of shit to the current mindset in private BT about the miniaturization and exclusivity thing, but that's because my personal opinions about what's best for BT and internet freedom in general lead me to think it's the opposite direction, but I speak from firsthand experience when I say that VERY FEW people realize the amount of thankless effort it takes to run a tracker for any significant length of time.

All of that time is an investment in a business plan, with no returns, so not for profit. This does not bar making more than your monthly costs(so that you can cover lean months, and actually improve your site), nor does it bar trying to break even on a personal financial level, imho. It's actually pretty thoughtless to expect someone to go in the hole, financially, just so they can remain absolutely pristine in the eyes of a bunch of armchair staffers.
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint
    Think 9 is the new 10.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Intr4ns1t View Post

Actually, everyone on the torrent scene should realize that trackers are a business, and require funds to operate. There are economics involved whether you want there to be or not, and if you feel there should always be improvements on trackers, those sites must profit, to enact said improvements. And if you think it's the sysops responsibility to pay out of pocket on top of the thousands of hours it takes to set up, grow, and maintain a site, then you really have less respect for staffers than you should.

If you like your site, and have the finances to support it, donate. If not, don't blame the owners when it goes down for lack of finances, and don't come to FST whining about how the staff should do more for you. Every single thing they have done for you, they have, almost universally, taken a loss to do with no return except the satisfaction of making other peoples lives easier and more enjoyable.

And that's the truth. I know I have given a lot of shit to the current mindset in private BT about the miniaturization and exclusivity thing, but that's because my personal opinions about what's best for BT and internet freedom in general lead me to think it's the opposite direction, but I speak from firsthand experience when I say that VERY FEW people realize the amount of thankless effort it takes to run a tracker for any significant length of time.

All of that time is an investment in a business plan, with no returns, so not for profit. This does not bar making more than your monthly costs(so that you can cover lean months, and actually improve your site), nor does it bar trying to break even on a personal financial level, imho. It's actually pretty thoughtless to expect someone to go in the hole, financially, just so they can remain absolutely pristine in the eyes of a bunch of armchair staffers.
    Very well put and so true.
    Some sites are more open with there staff and members than others bu it is a fine line to say how much info should be given.
    transparency on all financies of a site could be good but could equally be as bad.
    Last edited by Duckater; 01-29-2011 at 09:04 PM.
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    A's Avatar ... BT Rep: +1
    That post by NightOath is the 101 on "How to handle a messy situation". Accepting mistakes and being straight forward. Remind me why What.CD is one of the best trackers around.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Oh and the iPhone thing is total BS. Forgot to mention that in my last post. I only know one or two of them that even have an iPhone, most of the upper echelon there seems to be full of android lovers
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast