Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Higher Upload Than Download On Bittorrent

Hmmm:

ADSL for us punters is asynchronous: Now its all very complicated stuff.

The upshot for us is that We can achive the quoted speeds if we are ONLY downloading or uploading.

If we are doing both the the download speed decrerases as the upload speed increases eventually as upload reaches saturation the download speed aproaches zero. On an 8-meg connection typically the two meet at around 30-40 KB/s

If you want to test this you need to do the following:

1. Find a good torrent with loads of seeds and large enough to run a while(so you can see the results)

2. Make sure you have hacked TCPIP.SYS: this allows your pc to make more than the default 10 connections (assumes WinXP SP2) search google for "EventID 4226: TCP/IP"

3. Check the BT client u use and figure out how you limit the upload bandwidth. For this test limit upload of the torrent to 1KB/s.

4. Dissable other torrents till you have tried this test

5. Remember Contention ratios: Other users share ISP bandwidth with you, best to do this Early morn or late at night.

6. Once your have seen your download speed reach dizzing heights and u got your fastest ever downloads you need to play with the upload limit to find balance: remember as was said previously in this thread: If everyone limits their upload to 1 KB/s the result is problematic as on average you might get upto 10~15 connections for a single torrent at anyonetime 15 x 1 = 15 mate! so make a sensible choice please for all our sakes.

Wow: sorry for the ramble, hope it helps. and yes I wimped out of the technical reasons for Asynchronous behaviour. but hey am drunk and really none of us care we just want the buttons to push to give us what we want as fast as we want.

later dudes.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Good tip |theONE| - just one small note of correction, if I may...

The A in ADSL stands for asymmetric - ie different upload to download connection rate.

All DSL flavours (eg SDSL (Symmetric DSL) are asynchronous; definition:

"In telecommunication signaling within a network or between networks, an asynchronous signal is one that is transmitted at a different clock rate than another signal."
    Source: TechTarget

This seems to be a very common, and oft quoted misconception, not just here but across the web - but I hope I have not trodden on anyone's toes or annoyed anyone in clarifying this... just trying to help

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    lol, thx dude: my bad. less drunk now though!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123