Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I have as a backup for Astraweb?

MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    I want 2 unlim accounts since I'm going to switch from GN to AW.

What else should I have as the backup (not block accounts!) that isn't too far off in retention, speed etc.?
    SSL and EU server would be nice too.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    I would go for supernews (giganews's "offspring" =), 10 bucks deal) if 800-802 retention is enough for you or one of the readnews resellers.. but they mostly have slow speeds on older stuff...

i myself have AW and supernews which is still cheaper than one $25 giganews account
    Last edited by Hypatia; 02-01-2011 at 02:39 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Why have 2 accounts? Is it mainly for uploading? I just have AW and have been able to download everything I ever wanted at max my speed. I rarely upload though because of my abysmal upload speed.
    Who needs cloud storage when you got the NSA?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    I would go for supernews (10 bucks deal) if 800-802 retention is enough for you or one of the readnews resellers.. but they mostly have slow speeds on older stuff...

i myself have AW and supernews which is still cheaper than one $25 giganews account
    Is supernews a GN reseller?

Slow speed on older stuff? That sounds a bit weird.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman_1 View Post
    Why have 2 accounts? Is it mainly for uploading? I just have AW and have been able to download everything I ever wanted at max my speed. I rarely upload though because of my abysmal upload speed.
    I just want to have a backup without having to add GBs now and then. I download 1+TB/month so I just want an easy fix in case it's needed.
    Last edited by MultiForce; 02-01-2011 at 02:47 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    you probably misunderstood me. i meant readnews resellers(ngroups\usenetnow etc)

Well supernews is practically more than just a reseller=) like father like son lol

they cant possibly reduce prices without "harming" that snobbish, elitist status thay've got.. so..supernews is their way of dealing with those 10-11 bucks deals out there in a manner of speaking
    Last edited by Hypatia; 02-01-2011 at 03:13 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I guess I'll have to try that combo then.

Thanks for he help.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    well, perhaps others will have something else in mind considering the choice of a backup (not block) account.
    so dont rush it=)
    Last edited by Hypatia; 02-01-2011 at 03:23 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    well, perhaps others will have something else in mind considering the choice of a backup (not block) account.
    so dont rush it=)
    I'm always rushing

I think AW will be fine but I like the idea of a GN backup.

I'm not going to cancel the GN account yet either as I wan to see that AW is maxing out my (slow) connection.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Newhosting gets my vote as a backup - 9.99/month for life for unlimited - you will get blazing speed all day long...
    Digital World...You can't handle the Digital World! What did your Mom buy you a PUTER for Christmas!
    http://usenetgeeks.com

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    newsgroupie
    For anyone who doesn't mind paying for two unlimited accounts, I would agree that Supernews should make a good compliment to Astraweb. Especially now that they "flipped the switch" and nearly doubled retention in one pop. And if Supernews should get stuck at 800 days retention for too long, there's always the Readnews (+ Highwinds) resellers to consider.

MultiForce, I think you once said that the main reason you were using Giganews was because of the excellent VPN that came with a Diamond account?

.... A bit off the subject .... but what do you plan to use now for a VPN? I'm only asking because I've looked at and tried several proxy/VPN services and not one gave me what I needed:

* A US-west-coast server plus a selection of servers in several different countries -- that don't force me to pay extra for each additional server just to split my time between. (as most free streaming services are country-specific.)

* Having the option of a SOCKS/HTTP proxy server (again, without paying extra). Although each has its own pros and cons, If I could only pick one or the other I'd probably prefer a SOCKS/HTTP proxy over a VPN because a SOCKS allows me to selectively choose which applications to tie into it.

* open ports (not NAT'd or firewalled) for using P2P.

* and ideally, having multiple and ever-changing IP adresses, so I won't find myself permanently banned from a site just because some jerk once used the same server.

OK, back on topic ..............

Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    Is supernews a GN reseller?
    Giganews bought Supernews a few years ago, and then shut down the old Supernews servers after several months. (I was sorry to see that happen because Supernews previously maintained extraordinarily high retention on single-part binaries such as MP3s)

Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    It's true. And not just Readnews but Highwinds also. I've only experienced it rarely - that I've noticed - but I've virtually always been able to max out my line speed just by increasing connections to the maximum number whenever it happens. (I'm waiting to one day see newsreaders that will do this automatically)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast