Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is someone using my wireless?

Elvenmunky's Avatar Day Sleeper
    I don't know if its just me being paranoid but I think someone is using my wireless. I started getting times where the internet slows down a LOT. So I did some research and it said to check something called the DHCP Table. When I go into DHCP Client Table. My usual devices show up but then I get an IP named '(none)' on it and the other day there was an 'Unknown' on it. My security is on WPA2-Personal. It is a Linksys router. I really think its some stupid kid thinking he's cool by hacking it. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Elvenmunky; 02-05-2011 at 06:34 PM.
    "Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War.
    Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Change your WPA2 password to a different, stronger one and read this.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Thank you. I have changed it to a 12 character password using a password generator. We will see what happens.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Expeto's Avatar current user title
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvenmunky View Post
    We will see what happens.
    it takes up to 5114 years to crack 12 char only lowercase password
    1444817999 years to crack 12 char upper/lower/digit/punctiation password

If it happens again, I would suspect friends and relatives. Check for keyloggers.

To crack wpa they need to catch the package called "4-way handshake". Everytime you connect to wifi this 4way handshake occurs between you and wifi access point. Attacker need to catch this to perform a crack. The reason I'm telling this is, most common way of getting this key package is forcing existing connection to fail. When you connection fails your auto-reconnect reconnects which leads to creation of a new 4way-shake. Keep and eye on mysterious disconnections

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Expeto View Post
    We will see what happens.

If it happens again, I would suspect friends and relatives. Check for keyloggers.

To crack wpa they need to catch the package called "4-way handshake". Everytime you connect to wifi this 4way handshake occurs between you and wifi access point. Attacker need to catch this to perform a crack. The reason I'm telling this is, most common way of getting this key package is forcing existing connection to fail. When you connection fails your auto-reconnect reconnects which leads to creation of a new 4way-shake. Keep and eye on mysterious disconnections
    Thank you for your reply. I used to have serious mad disconnections before. My whole computer used to act weird when it disconnected. It used to freeze my computer every-time I had a disconnection. It is not so bad now. I had cheeked the DHCP table again and the '(none) and 'Unknown' were back again. Does the DHCP log wired connections as well? Because I believe it could be my Xbox and PS3.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Expeto View Post

What if they use cloud cracking services? For a small fee they put an array of powerful servers to work on your captured WPA handshakes. One of them claims it can break most passwords in 20 minutes or less.

Does the DHCP log wired connections as well?
    Check the manual or Google your router's model number, it should say so somewhere.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    Expeto's Avatar current user title
    Thank you for your reply. I used to have serious mad disconnections before. My whole computer used to act weird when it disconnected. It used to freeze my computer every-time I had a disconnection.
    That is a nicely done de-auth by your hacker. He basicly send bogus signals about that your connection is broken. Its bit like phishing emails, but ofcourse these are wi-fi packages instead of mails.

Do some trial and error to see if its really your ps3 or xbox, but I don't think both ps3 and xbox will be unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    What if they use cloud cracking services? For a small fee they put an array of powerful servers to work on your captured WPA handshakes. One of them claims it can break most passwords in 20 minutes or less.
    I think leaving thy neighbour alone might be cheaper If the hacker happens to have access to either a data center or a slave botnet you password might not stand a chance. But still we are talking about a nice 12 char password if its upper/lower/digit/punctiation, it will still take to 1734 years even if 999999 average computers works on it at the same time.

ofcourse... this was before the cloud (fuck you google!, fuck you for making it popular)
    If read a german guy cracked a PSK in 6 mins(I don't know how many chars or how good was the password) with amazon cloud and the amazon charged him less than 10$ for that cpu usage. He was supposed the release the software a conference this year

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    You can probably see a log of the connections to your router via its admin interface, if you see nothing unusual it may be a virus/trojan.. that's not too uncommon in the file sharing world

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    CONFUSED MIND BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    how do i check the log connections on the router.
    IF I am using someone's wifi signal and downloading,will the owner of the connection know that i am using
    If i do manage to get his wifi can i log into his system if so can anyone explain.

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    The owner may see that someone is using their wifi. Now if your pc name is "raghuveer-Pc" it may give him a hint about who it is If you're connected to his wifi you can see the files he is sharing on his computers and things like that.. Basically you're connected to his "private" lan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast