Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clone multiple partitions.

iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    I need to send one of my laptops to Acer. I need to clone the HDD because some of the s/ware that's on there has a limited install license.

I have two HDD's and 3 partitions. What app is best to use for cloning the drive with the partitions on it?

Most of the apps I've used only do one partition. What I want to do is clone a full drive with both the partitions and then restore it without having to do it twice.

Hope this makes sense, going to wake up after I have a coffee now .

Might have a look at Ghost: http://www.funadvice.com/q/norton_fo...ple_partitions
    Last edited by iLOVENZB; 02-13-2011 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I find Acronis a little easier to use and it has a section where you choose which partitions or the whole hard drive. All you need is a nice size external to put the images on.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Kick in some ubuntu liveCD / USB pen, and follow these instructions: http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/152592

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    newsgroupie
    When you say "cloning" a hard drive, are you talking about creating a second (bootable) HDD that you can use to replace the current one and boot the PC with? Or will the 2nd drive only be used for temporarily storing a backup image file?

Personally, I prefer 'cloning' to 'imaging' because it lets me boot the new drive and see that everything works. With using stored backup images, if something goes wrong (it often does) there's no way to know until it's too late.

If creating a working clone, Acronis Migrate Easy (not True Image) is probably about the easiest way to copy a drive (unlike Norton Ghost, Powerquest Drive Image, etc, Acronis Migrate Easy will not copy an individual partition - only the entire drive)

If you don't have it already, I suggest getting a few downloads of Hiren's BootCD. It is a compilation release containing several backup and disk-cloning software applications -- as wall as many other useful utilities. (Older versions of Hiren's have a completely different software collection compared to the more recent versions.) You can then try out several different cloning/imaging tools and see which you prefer.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I ended up using Easeus Partition Master and 'imaged' the drive including it's partitions successfully. Unfortunately once I opened Quicken a volume license error came up saying it wasn't the original PC.

Bah! a waste of exercise.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    I ended up using Easeus Partition Master and 'imaged' the drive including it's partitions successfully. Unfortunately once I opened Quicken a volume license error came up saying it wasn't the original PC.

Bah! a waste of exercise.
    well, then in this case it is due to registry problem. You should have backed up your PC's registry as well.
    Teh n00b.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    well, then in this case it is due to registry problem. You should have backed up your PC's registry as well.
    Last time I checked, the registry was stored in the hard drive, so there are some big chances it got backed up along the rest of his data.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    Unfortunately once I opened Quicken a volume license error came up saying it wasn't the original PC.
    This might help you get Quicken working again.

Code:
    http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/04/27/changing-or-spoofing-hard-disk-hardware-serial-number-and-volume-id/
    Last edited by zot; 02-15-2011 at 07:06 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Thanks for that zot, I'll take a look when I get the lappy comes back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast