Thread: grabit corrupt files - help!

I've used bittorrent for the longest time until utorrent started to throttle everything. So, by way of necessity, i found usenet and Grabit and have been using that for over 4 months now.

Everything has been working so wonderfully (save for my ISP throttling one of the ports after i racked up over 5 gigs in a few hours) since I got Grabit and I havent had issues until recently:

In the past few weeks, my downloads seem to drop off randomly at points (from 800kbps to 0kbps for a few seconds) then pick back up. I'm not sure if that is the cause of what's going on here, but lately my video files have been getting corrupt.

The basic routing I follow is to download a show once it's posted (i live in Taiwan so i don't get US cable), and then put in on my 1TB external, and i play my all my video files (except mkv) on my PS3 which is hooked up to my 42" HDTV.

This all works and has worked very nicely until about 3 weeks ago. Suddenly, I will be watching a show and about 10-15 minute in, the audio will disappear, then it will freeze. And PS3 screen will go blank with "data is corrupted."

At first I thought this may be a PS3 issue. But when I play these files on VLC, i'm getting the same issues. The screen freezes at like 10 minutes in, and then continuously every couple of minutes until the show is over.

This is positively maddening. I don't mind so much if it's a half hour sitcom that you don't really have to pay attention to. But with serial shows, it's just a bear.

I have no idea what the cause. But i feel like, if i'm paying $29.95 for a giganews account I better be getting some legit files.

Anyone help me out on this?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    1. Don't use CrabIt, use Sabnzbd or Unzbin.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    newsgroupie
    Although this is the first complaint of its kind I've seen, this reminds me of a tactic the record labels were doing several years ago: planting damaged MP3 files on the P2P networks.

I suggest getting your NZBs from a trusted source, rather than a search engine. A place where people can also discuss the quality of a release. There are many such sites that offer verified files, starting with this one.

Also, there are many excellent usenet providers (some offering discount specials) that cost less than half the price of Giganews.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Cubbie's Avatar Poster
    Sabnzbd is the way to go.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Installed Sabnzbd in place of grabbit. Thanks for the tip, working great so far!
    Only used grabbit for a month or two, before that, was still using nzb-o-matic lol

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    I had one of those issues a long time ago, and it was overclock related.
    My RAM timings were too tight and it was causing corrupted data on the SATA/IDE bus. Took me quite a while to figure it out though.