Thread: Issue with router and newsleecher

Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Hi everyone !

It seems that my router is blocking newsleecher making it impossible to connect to the server . As soon as i disable my router's firewall it connects fine . I don't want to disable it because i'm not using any software firewall .

My router btw is phillips .
    Last edited by Stabber; 02-17-2011 at 02:59 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabber View Post
    My router btw is phillips .
    What's the model number?

Usenet usually runs on port 119 (unless you're using SSL), that information may come useful if your router's firewall has a port whitelist of some sorts.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Go to its virtual server and open / route the following ports for you PC's LAN IP:

119 NNTP
    563 SSL

Theoretically that should solve it.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    My router is Phillips CGA5722N/TE . My virtual server is part of the NAT where i forwarded my ports for utorrent . Only TPC/UDP protocols are supported there .

This is how my firewall menu looks like

Access Control MAC Filter URL Blocking Schedule Rule Intrusion Detection DMZ

Any ideas how to allow port 119 ?

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    newsgroupie
    I don't think the problem is with NNTP ports 119 or 563 -- but more likely with Newsleecher itself. See if you can access your usenet server using Microsoft Windows Mail, Outlook Express, or other free newsreader. Then at least you know if the problem lies with Newsleecher or not.

The easiest solution might be to try a cracked copy of Newsleecher (one that does NOT phone home) because Newsleecher will not work unless it can access the verification server -- whose IP address or port could possibly be blocked by your PC or router.

But also, you should never need to forward ports when using Usenet --only P2P.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I'm using the cracked version . Anyway i've decided to disable the firewall at least for when using usenet .

Edit : After trying newsbin it seems to work , so it is an issue with newsleecher. Very strange ! Any idea why this is happening ?

I really prefer the interface of newsleecher

Edit2:It appears that Alt.binz won't connect either so it has to be a firewall problem . With newsbin although it download i get some critical socket errors
    Last edited by Stabber; 02-17-2011 at 06:21 PM.