Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Did JP ever really post here or was just a foolish dream of Elysium that I had?

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Real or not I like to believe it true as the thought makes the present purgatory somehow a little more bearable .

Also is it true that Manker was really the Devil?
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    JP
    pol
    titey
    Sara
    DanB
    NikkiD
    Lilmiss
    Mathea
    manker
    TheDave
    Spiderdude
    Withcheese
    DarthInsinuate

All pretty awesome people, all gone for various reasons. And I don't really see many of them wanting to come back the way this place is now, even if they had the time.

I probably forgot a few of the good ones.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    manker was cool.

If you want someone I at times thought might be genuinely evil, look into billy_dean.

Or chalkmongoose, for a whole other kind of bad.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    JP
    pol
    titey
    Sara
    DanB
    NikkiD
    Lilmiss
    Mathea
    manker
    TheDave
    Spiderdude
    Withcheese
    DarthInsinuate

All pretty awesome people, all gone for various reasons. And I don't really see many of them wanting to come back the way this place is now, even if they had the time.

I probably forgot a few of the good ones.
    And let's not forget the original SnnY or Arcadia. Those cool sons of bitches were as gods.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Let's not forget PatriotForeve, 007 and JessicaAlba

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Not to get unnecessarily serious but why the dearth of anyone interesting ?
    I mean I realize that people are going to come and go ( apparently mostly go) but since you got my curiosity piqued I spent some time browsing a few of those old names and people used to actually talk on this board , now all it basically consists of is illiterate idiots looking for trades, trolls, people making bad one liners and clocker.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    BANNED BT Rep: +5
    Honestly, I hope you don't believe this one.
    The answers to such a problem doesn't mean that it meet our expectations.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Couldn't be much worse.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Not to get unnecessarily serious but why the dearth of anyone interesting ?
    I mean I realize that people are going to come and go ( apparently mostly go) but since you got my curiosity piqued I spent some time browsing a few of those old names and people used to actually talk on this board, now all it basically consists of is illiterate idiots looking for trades, trolls, people making bad one liners and clocker.
    It's because the dynamics of the board changed. It went from this sort of benign anarchy where people joined because we had issues with k-lite, and stayed on because we met interesting people, into something less personal. Not to beat a dead horse, but I blame the rise of the invite section quite a lot. It attracted a lot of people who are really crap at communicating whilst very insincere.

It's not just that, though, there were crazy people and trolls since before I joined, it's just that they multiplied, which I think is inevitable on any growing board. What's made it so bad is that the people actually being worth talking to is obscured by the gibbering hordes, and that's on top of the number of trolls and idiots I see as being normal for a discussion board on the internet. Couple that with how the BT section has become the big draw of the place, which means that it's the entry point to the board for nearly anyone who joins now. Anyone who finds their way to there, and sticks around cos they like that cesspool, and then ventures out onto the rest of the board isnt likely to be anything like the people who were here originally.

So people of the older mentality aren't finding their way to here. And the people who were here already: either we stopped talking and/or buggered off, or we shifted attention to other sections, or we got meaner.

It's hard to find old posts of ours now, but If you can find me or chalice to name two examples, you'll see we weren't like how we are now. I had a theory once that boards take on their own life and that the members in part become part of the larger organism that is the board, and that how we changed is as if some people start acting like antibodies to repel the disease that is the trolls and the idiots. Mind you, I'd not slept for days when I first came up with that.

I'm not going to pretend I didn't have a hand in how the board changed though, I had my fair share of mucking about and bitching about the rules. Some of us kept messing pushing the mods and whatnot until many of them gave up. At the time less harsh moderation seemed a good idea, but in hindsight we opened the doors for worse things.

But however that is, there are still a few people I met here who I know better than most of my real life friends. And still a few that I'm visiting so as to not lose contact.
    Last edited by Snee; 02-18-2011 at 08:25 PM.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    The ownership of the board is another issue. Not to criticise tesco, but the board as it was when I joined felt like there was a different purpose to it. Back then it had tie-ins to software like k-lite and the codecs, and the people who first created the board made it to be an auxillary to something else, but even so it was sort of a place for everyone and not run for profit or to maximize the number of visitors or anything. Then it changed hands a few times, was given away for free to one guy, who gave it away to another guy (or it was the same dude with a different name), and then it was sold to a sucker, who lets tesco and the mental run it.

I was never really clear on how it all happened. But I do know that it's affected what has been put in place to attract what people.

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast