Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Employee Unions Must Be Crushed !

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    After all this time you came back to be obtuse?
    Can you tell me exactly how the public employee union was hurting Wisconsin?
    Can you explain why, after the unions already agreed to Walker's financial demands, that he still insists on gutting them?

I'm betting Walker gets recalled after the one year grace period is over.
    Don't mean to be obtuse, but then, I suppose neither did you, a while back.

What's this about a "grace period".

You can ask all the questions you want; after all, you have the Senate and the executive.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I'm betting Walker gets recalled after the one year grace period is over.

What's this about a "grace period".
    Wisconsin law doesn't allow for a recall vote till the officer has been in office for a year.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    This video does a nice job of presenting the conservative argument against public employee unions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je3UT...layer_embedded
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    For liberals, freedom of speech and freedom of the press only apply to the liberal media. They don't want any other views expressed. They really should stop using the "liberal" name, because they are anything but open-minded...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JSZ5...layer_embedded
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    For liberals, freedom of speech and freedom of the press only apply to the liberal media. They don't want any other views expressed. They really should stop using the "liberal" name, because they are anything but open-minded...

So private citizens yelling "tell the truth" is preventing first amendment rights? (do you even know what the 1st. amendment does?)

Do you want to be told the truth or do you want to be told a viewpoint?

Does the first amendment mean everyone has to shut up so your viewpoint can be told?

Should Sarah Palin be allowed to bar the press from her events? After all it is as you say a "free press"

As for the content of the clip. Has this "doctor" been found, was it a real doctor? was it actually a union supporter or was it one of Mark Williams "plants"?

You see reporters, REAL reporters, look for facts and report facts, not viewpoints.
    When I was a kid I was told "We do these things not because they're easy, but because they're hard"

Now all I hear is " I won't do anything unless there's something in it for me"

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    You see reporters, REAL reporters, look for facts and report facts, not viewpoints.
    Which "real reporters" do you favor?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post

Did you think it's unique? Do you have a problem with these guys?

Last edited by devilsadvocate; 02-28-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Embedding video
    When I was a kid I was told "We do these things not because they're easy, but because they're hard"

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4;3563457

Which "real reporters" do [I
    you[/I] favor?
    ANY reporter that sticks to facts and not opinion or speculation. Which do you favor?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    The person (with the numbers) obviously listens to some preferred opinions and takes them as fact, there's obviously no room for intelligent conversation here. Those kinds of people find real information confusing, and have a hard time differentiating between a reporter and a commentator, commentary being the useless trash that everyone gets excited over.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    9 simply lacks the experience to view issues through different frameworks.
    For instance:
    -The right would prefer that a Wisconsin worker look at his union peers and say, "Heath insurance? Benefits and pension? I don't have that, why should they?"
    -The left would have them ask, "Heath insurance? Benefits and pension? I want that too, how can I get them?"

The right's obsession with deficits (which is a problem they created...the national debt grew greatest under Republican rule) is presented as a totally black>white, cut-n-dried proposition...we spend more than we take in, therefore we can only respond by cutting services to save money.
    Somehow the obvious second option- we spend more than we take in, so let's take in more- is never proposed.

For all the Chicken Little histrionics over taxes, the fact is that we are paying the lowest effective tax rate since the 1950's.
    The problem is that the taxes we pay don't result in tangible benefits for the average American (and that Republicans don't believe that corporations should pay taxes at all).
    We used to get nice things like the Interstate Highway System and Hoover Dam and libraries and water treatment plants...stuff you could see and that enhanced the quality of your life.

Republicans prefer to spend taxes on projecting our military into the world.
    Remove Iraq and Afghanistan from our spending and the "deficit problem" disappears.

Another Republican tactic relies on insulating their core supporters from the effects of their stated beliefs.
    Note that every Republican warns of the horrible drain on the budget by "entitlements"- Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid- and how we must "tighten our belts" and "make sacrifices".
    Yeah, everybody has to chip in...except those already receiving the largess, mostly older, white folks, the very core of the Republican base.
    They get to keep theirs, which makes it a lot easier to say "fuck you" to everyone else.
    Be interesting to confront the typical Tea Party rabble and say, "Yup, SS, Medicare and Medicaid are killing us financially so we're all going to lose 15% of our benefits immediately, we're going to restrict access to health providers and we're going to phase the whole system down.
    Starting NOW.
    For EVERYBODY".

<crickets>

As the truism says, "Republicans believe that government is bad and they get elected so they can prove it".
    Last edited by clocker; 03-01-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast