Thread: What do you think about the shooting in the Colorado movie theater?

OlegL's Avatar Poster
    As you know, this morning, a guy named James Holmes killed many people and injured many others. We still don't know why he did it. It looks like he was a Ph.D. student. The important question is this, why was this guy allowed to purchase guns if he was mentally ill? (Actually, we don't know yet how he obtained the guns, but I assume he purchased them). We know he had no significant criminal record, but how was he able to hide his mental illness for so long?
    We have the Second Amendment rights, but what should we do about the mentally ill who get access to weapons?
    Last edited by OlegL; 07-20-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    I love FST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    The Columbine shooting happened on April 20th - the day Hitler was born, but July 20th is the day on which Stauffenberg failed to assassinate Hitler.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    So, are you busy in your bedroom mapping out a conspiracy link or something? I bet you're only wearing 2-day old tighty whiteys.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    OlegL's Avatar Poster

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Are you looking to purchase weapons, Oleg? What's your plan? C'mon, you can tell us...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    MBM, I want you to stop being weird...
    Anyway, the live conference in Aurora just ended. The Aurora police chief told reporters that Holmes had legally obtained his weapons.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL View Post
    The Aurora police chief told reporters that Holmes had legally obtained his weapons.
    Oh, well then, the system appears to have worked perfectly, doesn't it?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Notice how long it took the police to respond to the 911 calls. By the time they arrived on the scene and entered the movie theatre, the murderer had already ran out of ammunition.

If a person is relying on only the police to protect them from crime, they are at the mercy of the criminals. The police cannot get there in time to save your life.

All they can do is show up after the crime has already occurred and try to catch the criminal. And then maybe after you've been rotting in the ground for a few years, the person who murdered you will finally be brought to justice.

By their very nature, criminals violate the law. Making guns illegal will not stop criminals from getting guns. Just look at Chicago. They have strict gun control laws, but gun violence is through the roof.
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    By their very nature, criminals violate the law. Making guns illegal will not stop criminals from getting guns. Just look at Chicago. They have strict gun control laws, but gun violence is through the roof.
    I am sick of the "we can't stop it" and "guns don't kill people, people kill people" excuse.
    If you can't figure out how to deal with the problem, then get out of the way and let someone else do it.
    The NRA and their political arm (the GOP) have wielded these diversions for years now, resisting even the most rudimentary efforts at gun control.
    Typically, we'll hear how anyone who says anything about control after a event like this is "exploiting the victims for political gain" which effectively shuts down the whole conversation till the next massacre occurs.
    The fact that he bought the guns legally shows how flawed that argument and the whole system is.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg