Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the government make our choices for us?

I'm sure by now, everyone has heard what Bloomberg has proposed about soft drinks...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/ny...pagewanted=all

Even if I lived in New York, the ban wouldn't have any effect on me, since I never drink any soft drinks. The closest I would come to something like that would be kombucha, but they don't sell that in convenience stores anyways. I mainly drink unsweetened iced tea.

Anyways, I see this as another intrusion into our lives by the government, this time by a Republican (but he might as well be a Democrat because he is so liberal).

It is interesting how the libs think its okay for the government to stick its nose in where it doesn't belong on things like this, but when it comes to abortion or gay marriage, the government is not supposed to lift a finger to stop it.

You can't have it both ways.

The Libertarian view would be to let people do what they want to do, and for the government to stay out of the way. I'm leaning more and more toward the Libertarian point of view and away from the Republican point of view. I just wish Libertarians had a better chance of being elected.

As for the obesity issue, it is my opinion that if we removed the safety nets of medicaid and social security disability, within a few years, we probably would have very few fat people left here. Most of them would stop stuffing their faces, get some exercise and lose their weight.

"The doctor for Susanne Eman, the Casa Grande woman who wants to be the world's fattest woman, tells CBS 5 Eman is covered by the state's AHCCCS medicaid plan. Should taxpayers be footing the bill for any health problems that arise from her weight gain?
    Casa Grande woman strives to be world's fattest
    www.kpho.com
    A woman said to be from Casa Grande is getting international attention for her larger-than-life dream of becoming the fattest woman in the world."

An Arizona mom, who lives near Casa Grande, is getting international attention for her larger-than-life dream of becoming the fattest woman in the world.

Susanne Eman, 32, runs an online blog On the Way to 1600+ Pounds where she describes herself as "your average gal next door who just happens to have a body to match the size of her personality."

British tabloids have run articles claiming this 728-lb single mother of 12- and 16-year-old boys wants to be 800 pounds by the end of the year, and eventually tip the scales at 1 ton.

CBS 5 News asked Susanne Eman for an on-camera interview, but she refused. Eman said that she had signed an exclusive agreement with another media outlet.

Dr. Patrick Flyte is one of Eman's physicians. He told CBS 5 News that he warned Eman that if she continues to put on weight, she'll be putting her health at risk.

"Quite honestly she didn't seem to comprehend the medical or physical risks to her body and health with the goal of hers of being the fattest living woman in the world," said Flyte. "If she does pursue this goal, in all likelihood, she's definitely going to have a premature death and it could happen literally within a few years."

We posted the story on our CBS 5 Morning News and KPHO CBS 5 News Facebook pages and generated more than 150 comments in a matter of hours.

The pictures from her blog and journaling chronicle a troubling tale of a woman who embraced the weight she says she did not at first intentionally gain, to eventually decide to self-exploit her size.

"From the time I was 20 to the time I was 30, I went from 300 pounds to 500 pounds. I noticed that I liked the way the weight felt, and the way my body was filling out," she writes on her blog. "Then, one day at 30 years old I was surfing the net. I came across a dating banner for SSBBW's (Super-Size Big Beautiful Women). I had never heard that term before. I decided to find out what it meant. That got the ball rolling for me. I was impressed and excited. Deep down I had always known I wanted to be fat, but I thought I was alone in this feeling. I began to look into how fat other people were able to become, how they did it, side effects, and whether it could be done in a safe and healthy manner. The more I learned, the more I wanted to let go and gain weight."

She told the British tabloid The Daily Mail that the bigger she gets, the better she feels. She said she wants to find out if it's humanly possible to reach a ton, and despite her doctor's warnings, she's sticking to her goal.

"I feel more confident and sexy. Why shouldn't I push the limits and see how fat I can get and stay healthy?"

She's reportedly unemployed and uses a motorized scooter to get around and do things like her monthly eight-hour grocery trips which, The Mail reports, fills six carts.

"I go for a waddle and do stretches and exercises every day," she told The Daily Mail. "My muscles need to hold up my weight so I have to stay strong."

"Dear Lord, someone stop her. It isn't that important to be known as the BIGGEST in the world. Is it worth dying for?" asked Donna Stauffenberg-Raube on a CBS 5 Facebook page.

Jessica Allen lives in Casa Grande and said maybe since there isn't much to do there, Eman was looking for attention.

We also heard from a lot of viewers who wanted to know why no one from Social Services has intervened, others demanding Eman's children be removed from the house, and some posters angry about what implications this has for public health care.

"Does she have insurance? I would think that the company would have addressed this issue. Why hasn't anyone in a professional capacity stepped in?" asked Maryjane Gonter.

"She needs psychiatric help. The same way that anorexics need it. This isn't about food," said Tanja Cooper.
    Last edited by 999969999; 06-20-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    No they can't have it both ways, personal lifestyle choices, hands off. Regulation on business practices, hands on.

What would you think of businesses only selling soft drinks 32 oz. plus?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    No they can't have it both ways, personal lifestyle choices, hands off. Regulation on business practices, hands on.

I'm not surprised by your response.

Whatever a business wants to do is its own business. That's their choice.

If I don't like what they are selling, I don't have to buy it. That's my choice.

But liberals don't like the idea of people making their own choices and decisions, unless it is something like gay marriage or abortion. Whatever is horrible, they're all for it.
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Well everyone, I'm going on vacation again, and yes, I am going to California again. Why not?! I love California.

I won't be back until sometime after the 4th of July. Hopefully, not until August, but we'll see how much mad money I get to spend, and how long it lasts.

Have a fun summer everyone!!!

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post

If I don't like what they are selling, I don't have to buy it. That's my choice.
    And what if all businesses adopted this practice?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    Well everyone, I'm going on vacation again, and yes, I am going to California again. Why not?! I love California.

I won't be back until sometime after the 4th of July. Hopefully, not until August, but we'll see how much mad money I get to spend, and how long it lasts.

Have a fun summer everyone!!!
    Maybe while you're at it try getting a job and earning your own money, one can only plan to be a parasite for so long.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    teflon05's Avatar Pessimistic Optimist BT Rep: +2
    I've read many of 999969999 posts, & while I generally don't agree with him, I do agree that business's should not be regulated to this extent. It's a matter of choice, & If I want to drink a damn 320 oz soda, then that's my choice.

I actually think it's a stupid thing to do. Just another way for people to not take responsibility for their own action. "Yeah, I know I'm fat, but it's because they sell these huge sugary drinks. It's not my fault I walk into the store and buy them. It's the store's fault!" Bullshit. And it won't work anyway. Fat asses will just buy 2 or 3 smaller ones.
    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. — P.J. O'Rourke

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. — Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by 999999999999999969999999999999
    Anyways, I see this as another intrusion into our lives by the government, this time by a Republican (but he might as well be a Democrat because he is so liberal).
    You could at least have the balls to admit that it's a Republican that you disagree with this time instead of the facile approach of equating him to a Democrat.
    That's completely chickenshit.

Not that I'm surprised.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon05 View Post
    And it won't work anyway. Fat asses will just buy 2 or 3 smaller ones.
    It's why I don't really take much of an issue with it. Nothing is actually preventing someone from drinking 64 fl. oz. of a soft drink. They are the biggest money makers for these places, and they make it appear financially absurd to not by the larger one. "For just an extra 10 cents, we can get a lot more syrup down your gully". I just wish a lot more places would allow me to cut it down with club soda.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    Instead of worrying about sodas, maybe they should instead focus on things like about six months ago, auditors visited 31 of the cities elementary schools and not a single one were in compliance with state physical education requirements. They either had none, or were way under the acceptable levels.

And I wonder if kids didn't spend hours in front the tv, computer, ect., how much that would effect obesity rates?

How about taking the expenditure of enforcing soda laws and set up after school/work fitness programs for people?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast