Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Usenet or BT?

Poster
    I use both, both the same IMO, torrents great for new TV and Movies.... Usenet + matrix = good for albums and apps.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    The only problem i see with the usenet is the retention time ( 900+ days )
    lol? its more than 2,5 years(and still growing) on maximum speed 100% of time ..not many torrents live that much,and even if they are active ,download speed is awful(i had several of those on hdbits)

movies(blurays,bdrips,dvdrips),tv-series, games, soft= usenet
    music,anime= private trackers
    I was talking about that movies that you know for sure that must have been uploaded to Usenet a while ago ( i being new to Usenet ) but expired and now can only be found on niche trackers or what i said in my previous post.

I never cared so much about the speed when i was using torrent sites as long as everything was free, the content was more important. I do care now though, when i'm paying for it.

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Definately Usenet. While I agree that not everything is on Usenet, I could say the same about BitTorrent.

With BitTorrent it's all about keeping a ratio, something many of us don't have the time or patience to do. Not only that but you also have to deal with unpleasent tracker admins, users and making sure you don't do anything to get banned.

Plus you often have to hunt for invites to join a site, which although "private", does not actually make it secure.

To keep a ratio on many trackers, especially 0sec ones, you'd also need a seedbox.. which is more expensive than usenet in most circumstances.

With Usenet you have to pay for access, if you want decent speeds and retention at least. It is generally pretty cheap with truly unlimited plans from $10/mo.

You can have no speed limit and no download limit, meaning it's all you can eat access.

There is no need to worry about keeping a ratio, as no such thing exists.

You also don't have to waste time becoming friends with others and sucking up to admins.

256-bit SSL encryption is available and no download logs are kept. It is pretty much as secure as you can get in terms of downloading warez.

There is a learning curve to usenet, so it does take a while to get used to. The same could be said for bittorrent, however it's far less complicated.

Scene releases are posted slower than the top private trackers get them. This is due to posters needing to generate PAR2 files. However we are talking a few minutes delay in most cases, not hours or anything.

--------

I may seem biased towards one of the two, also my name is UsenetGuy so it's kind of obvious which side i'm a supporter of. However I was a long-time user of BitTorrent before I moved onto usenet. I've been on all the major trackers and helped run two of them as well. Even spent a year or two on scene ftps, ran my own prebot and scene network. The only thing I never got into was file hosters, they just never appealed to me.
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 03-01-2011 at 12:49 AM.

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Been using them both (to be correct all three, since I also use DDL) for quite some time now and they both have their pro's and con's.

A combo of both has proven ideal for me. I can find everything I want ... if it ain't on BT than it probably is on Usenet and vice versa, and if it's not than I can still be lucky and find it on a DDL-site.

If by any chance I can't find it using all three methods I can still request it on some tracker/Usenet-board/DDL-board.
    Last edited by Disme; 03-01-2011 at 10:17 AM.
    Can you feel the LOVE

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by healthtourism View Post
    What kind of releases?
    Healthtourism guides, of course.

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Evelyn's Avatar กก ƃɯo ƃɯo ƃɯo BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    BT all the way,...

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by netant View Post
    BT all the way,...
    Thanks for the well represented and backed-up claim. You've just enriched everyone in the FST community with that post.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by netant View Post
    BT all the way,...
    Thanks for the well represented and backed-up claim. You've just enriched everyone in the FST community with that post.
    I was going to say "where do you think his next inspiring post will be in the invite or the trade section" but I see the question has already been answered.

https://filesharingtalk.com/threads/4...unge-BTN/page8
    Respect my lack of authority.

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    With more and more ISPs introducing caps, I think a combo of both is the best choice. I use newsgroups whenever possible, and use BT for rare and unique items.

With BT, you have double the traffic for everything you grab. This adds up quickly. Using newsgroups to grab everyday stuff (0 day tv, music, movies) saves a lot of traffic for me, allowing me to download more then ever even with my ISPs cap. Well worth the ~$10 a month for unlimited newsgroup access if it allows me to get almost double the media.

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    You people in North America are really screwed. Speeds and bandwidth are increasing everywhere around the globe, your carriers turn the clock backwards and and introduce caps. Bizarre.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast