Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Usenet or BT?

Hello can someone please explain to me the difference in terms of when releases come out?
    I know Usenet costs money but is it really worth it compared to the top private trackers?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    BT has much more rare content. Zero cost.

Usenet is secure, fast speeds & no upload but you have to pay monthly.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    There are free providers (although you obviously don't get the same results), and the paid ones don't cost that much, either, but that depends on where you live - where I come from, the exchange rate for the euro is ridiculously lop-sided. I don't know what the "difference in terms of when releases come out" is, because I frankly couldn't care less about such things - if the file's available, I'll grab it, and if it isn't, I'll just wait until it is.

As with everything, each method has its advantages and disadvantages, but it you just want to get new releases at fast speeds with no ratio worries or shit (and are willing to pay, of course), Usenet's probably the way to go. For everything else, there's niche trackers.

Personally, I use one-click hosters. I'm too lazy to learn the ins and outs of newsgroups, so they're the perfect interpunct between that and BT's ease of use. You may want to check this thread, there's a pretty long discussion there, with very detailed posts:
    https://filesharingtalk.com/threads/428243-BT-vs-Usenet
    Last edited by anon; 02-21-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Later edit
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    Simply, if you have connection with high upload speed, then go for bt, and you will understand pro & cons of it in some days
    Otherwise, stick with usenet & 2-3 torrent sites(trackers) like bcg, what.cd/waffles.
    Teh n00b.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    newsgroupie
    To me it's not an "either/or" situation. I use both probably about equally.

They are both valuable resources that supplement each other. Often something gets posted to Usenet that is not available on Bittorrent, and vice-versa. Also, I've found that Bittorrent can sometimes work better than NNTP under very poor connections, such as when using a distant wi-fi signal with a lot of dropouts.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    To me it's not an "either/or" situation. I use both probably about equally.

They are both valuable resources that supplement each other. Often something gets posted to Usenet that is not available on Bittorrent, and vice-versa.
    Same here. I've sometimes had to resort to torrents to get stuff that wasn't on any of my warez forums/search engines. Sadly, there's no way of downloading that has everything and no drawbacks. And the bigger trackers (RuTracker, Demonoid, TPB) are more likely to have that old release that's gone from hosters or never got uploaded there in the first place.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Money is much better spent on a Seedbox than a Usenet Subscription.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorx View Post
    OK to me that is silly talk . Bt was never intended to be something that you had to pay to use . It was suppose to be about sharing files that interested you ,hopefully to the best of your ability and not about 'building ratio " so that (presumably ) later you can hit and run to your hearts content.At least that is what is implied in your statement.

At least usenet is very upfront about being a business and any incurred expense comes with the territory. That I can respect ,the other I cannot.
    Respect my lack of authority.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    OK to me that is silly talk . Bt was never intended to be something that you had to pay to use . It was suppose to be about sharing files that interested you ,hopefully to the best of your ability and not about 'building ratio " so that (presumably ) later you can hit and run to your hearts content.At least that is what is implied in your statement.

At least usenet is very upfront about being a business and any incurred expense comes with the territory. That I can respect ,the other I cannot.
    The main reason i buy a seedbox is 2 things. One, is so that i can download large, old content without being banned (by building up a buffer beforhand), and 2, is so that once the box expires, im still able to use ratio websites which are hard to maintain without a seedbox, I.E. BMTV.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Great suggestion...

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast