Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Netgear Router

mike160's Avatar Old School
    hi i just got me a new netgear wireless router for my two desktop computer i have in my room and now its blocking my internet connection sometimes and also blocking emule and slowing down utorrent on the computer i have the router on but the one i have the usb wireless adapter is working fine anyone here ever use one of theses router befor that can help me out this is the one i have

http://countries.netgear.com/Product...ng/WGR614.aspx

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=0CIMBEPICMAs#

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Disable the built-in firewall if it has one, and forward your ports!
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    thanks yes it does have a built-in firewall wont disabling the built-in firewall put my computer and connection at risk useing the router

Security
    Wi-Fi Protected Access™ (WPA/WPA2–PSK) and WEP
    Double firewall protection (SPI and NAT firewall)
    Denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mike160 View Post
    thanks yes it does have a built-in firewall wont disabling the built-in firewall put my computer and connection at risk useing the router
    Maybe. But using a router and only forwarding the ports you need is already a pretty good "firewall". Note I'm only telling you to do that to be able to narrow the cause of the problem down.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    internet explorer 9 is working now on the computer that the router is on it was not working befor it started to work after turning the router off and on ever other program that i use seem to be working fine its emule that its blocking now

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    What does "blocking" mean here? eMule can't connect? It won't download? It says you have a low ID?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    sorry i mean low ID on ed2k network and kad network is firewalled do you know if this program is any good and safe to use https://secure.portforward.com/store/pfconfig.cgi

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Low ID means you haven't forwarded your ports. I have never tried PortForward's program myself, but I've been told that it's effective and easy to use (although not free). You can always refer to your router's manual, that's the best way.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    thanks anon-sbi for all the info and help but i had to return my router today too much trouble to set it up i went with a dynex 4-port 10 Mbps Hub to add the same internet connection to my other computer desktop i hope this works to

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26...&skuId=7169262

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by mike160 View Post
    thanks anon-sbi for all the info and help but i had to return my router today too much trouble to set it up i went with a dynex 4-port 10 Mbps Hub to add the same internet connection to my other computer
    You'll need an additional WAN IP from your provider for that to work. Where I come from those aren't free, and have an extra fee.

Also, if your connection speed is above 10Mbit, you'll be limited to that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast