Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just killed my PC by cleaning it

worldpease's Avatar always annoying

Unsure

Yes, after a long time I decided it was time to clean all the dust accumulating inside my CPU Case
    and now I find myself distraugt by the posiblility that I just broke it for good.

As I've done many times before, I disconnected everything and started disassembling parts, RAM, HDDs, the PSU, cleaning fans, blowing the dust with the canned air, then I assembled everything back,
    so finally I connect everything and turn it On and immediately I know something is wrong, very wrong.
    The machine starts, and seems to go through the routine motions (I'll add the normaly the MOBO letters appear almost immediately, and windows loads in one minute), all the fans work, I can see the DVD drives working, the HDDs red light keeps working, except that nothing happens on the screen, there is nothing, just the black screen, as if the PC was not turned On.
    The monitor tries to find the source (analog / digital) a few times the goes idle.

So my first though is maybe I moved the Graphics Card (ATI Radeon 2400HD) wich I didn't even took out when cleaning, but after close inspection the card is well into it's slot.
    I tried then my TV that is also connected to the card via HDMI, nothing, no signal on my TV either.
    So I get the graphics card out and plug my monitor into the boards VGA port, the same result, then I plug my TV to this same VGA port, and still nothing. In short, there is no signal either using the Graphics Card nor using the Onboard Graphic Adaptor.
    Oh I also tried my monitor, with same cables, on the other PC and laptop availables here at home, it worked like charm, so I guess the monitor is ok, wich is a good thing cos it cost me more that $200.

At that point I am very stressed, but things only get worst.
    I decided to unplug everything, only leave the display and the main hard drive (WD Sata). It didn't work, same as before, nothing happens on the display, but I noticed something else, the hard drive red light never blinks, yes my main drive doesn't seem to work at all, I can't feel working or anything.
    Then later I also find that one of my DVD drives also doesn't do nothing.

Did I burned my PC?, maybe I short-circuited it somehow.
    Anyway I post this more as an anecdotal tale or maybe just to vent out some of my stress.
    I've been quite a wile doing trial and error and nothing worked.
    I feel bad cos I can't afford to buy a PC like that at the moment.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Calm down, you could be fine.
    Then again, you could be fucked...you'll have that from time to time.

Didn't lose any screws behind the motherboard, did we?
    Is everything plugged in (auxiliary power to the motherboard, maybe)?
    Does your vid card have a power connector?

It could be just some silly little thing...the problem is that you missed it the first time and you need fresh eyes to catch it now.
    Sleep on it and recheck her tomorrow.
    If it's still acting up, shoot the treacherous little bastard.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Good one Clock. Yeah check behind your motherboard for a screw. Clocker knows a thing or two about having a screw loose . Also did you remove your CPU?

Check your ram. Pull it out inspect the slots for some dust and reseat it. Same goes for the CPU.

Next check your SATA connections to your HDD sometimes the plug feels like it's in but it isn't.

Maybe even reset your bios by "bridging the two pins with a screwdriver or something. If you don't know what I mean post the model of your mobo.
    Last edited by Detale; 02-21-2011 at 07:40 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    From your post it looks like... It might happen due to connection problem with ram. Just to be sure, pull out the ram(s) from its/their slot & place them again on their slot correctly.
    I faced same type of problem that you have stated here many times. Al the times, it is just the ram.
    But, in worst case, what you have said here,
    Did I burned my PC?, maybe I short-circuited it somehow.
    might be true. But keep your fingers crossed.
    And if nothing happens, throw that away.
    Teh n00b.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Calm down, you could be fine. Then again, you could be fucked...you'll have that from time to time.

Is everything plugged in (auxiliary power to the motherboard, maybe)?
    Does your vid card have a power connector?

It could be just some silly little thing...the problem is that you missed it the first time and you need fresh eyes to catch it now.
    Sleep on it and recheck her tomorrow.
    If it's still acting up, shoot the treacherous little bastard.
    made me laugh man, I appreciate that.
    And yeah I believe the same about being stressed and working on a Pc, so I just forgot about it, watched some Tv and went to sleep.
    I will try again today, I'm not optimistic but at least now I feel better.
    And I also thought of the connections you mention but nothing seems to be missing, and the graphics card never had any connections besides the slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Detale
    Yeah check behind your motherboard for a screw.

Check your ram. Pull it out inspect the slots for some dust and reseat it. Same goes for the CPU.
    Next check your SATA connections to your HDD sometimes the plug feels like it's in but it isn't.

Maybe even reset your bios by "bridging the two pins with a screwdriver or something. If you don't know what I mean post the model of your mobo
    I didn't think someting could have gone behind the board but I will add it to the list.
    I did check the RAM, re-placed them, switch the sticks and even removed them and used a spare I have, but I will check more closely today.
    The CPU I didn't do cos I never touched it in the first place.
    I did check the SATA connection, inverted the cable, switch slot, tried various power connectors, as I mention that hard drive seems dead (as does one of the DVD drives)
    Finally, by reseting the bios, do you mead switching the jumper back and forth?, cos I've done that a few times now.

Quote Originally Posted by bijoy
    It might happen due to connection problem with ram. Just to be sure, pull out the ram(s) from its/their slot & place them again on their slot correctly.
    I faced same type of problem that you have stated here many times. Al the times, it is just the ram.
    That seemed to be the trend when I googled my problem, and it makes sence.

Ok now I guess I'll go and give it a try again,
    as I said, I'm not getting my hopes up, but what the heck, right?
    Thanks guys I appreciate it!.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I wonder if maybe the PSU is fritzing out.
    It's weird that the hard drive and optical went along with the video.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    If you can, try a power supply from another computer.
    Just barebones: Motherboard, cpu, ram, and vid card, with just your monitor and keyboard plugged in.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    That was my next guess as well. Do you have a spare PSU on hand?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Yes I did find a spare PSU earlier today and I'm told it's in working condition,
    will try it tomorow.

I am thinking I might get a cheap PC, just the case, to keep up to date
    until I save a bit to get a new Beast!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Are you sure you hooked up all the power connects for that mainboard? Like the CPU power? Mine has a 8pin CPU connection besides the 24pin main power for everything else(ATX).

Post the model of your motherboard too.

See if you can pick up a cheap piezoelectric PC speaker at a Radio Shack or similar store near you. Hook it up to your motherboard and then see if it signals some sort of error. However some motherboards, like mine, have some sort of on-board display of the post codes. If you do have something similar, post the code. It should give a clue to what is wrong.
    Last edited by sandman_1; 02-22-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    Who needs cloud storage when you got the NSA?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast