Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to have such higher server cost?

colbert's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quality hosting and servers cost money - I think people are used to cheap seedboxes, but quality site hosting, axx, and multiple servers cost a lot of money.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    its not just bandwidth though.

150,000 peers = 150,000 queries every 30 minutes. (actually its more than that if you take into another query for hit and runs, and SP system, announce logs etc etc)

a couple of years back i believe it was something like 10,000,000 queries a day or something (cant really remember now but i know it was a hell of a lot)

a couple of years ago one of our staff members (now ex staff) took the tracker and put it on a vectoral server, it lasted 20 minutes with not many peers before it crashed their servers.

You also have to find a host you can trust (in a country you can trust) and OVH kimulsifi wont do lol

Yes we are probably paying a bit over the odds, but i would prefer that than looking over my shoulder all the time (like i did when we were in Germany, and on dedicated which was more than we pay now funnily enough), or crashes every day.

and btw we pay closer to your valuation than that sites valuation, but it is a bit more than what your evaluation was.

and it wont be just for bw/electricity, there will be server storage as well, you have to pay for a place on their rack (that wont be 1000`s but it has to be taken into account as well), but if you have a cluster of servers, the cost does mount up.
    Last edited by stoi; 03-07-2011 at 09:42 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    I'm good for you.
    Dude... I shouldn't need to tell you but Spain is a filesharing haven... and considering the fact there's OVH.es you can get cheap hosting + protection. This protection is demonstrated by the vast number of court cases which have been ruled in favour of the filesharers - torrentfreak it, and the price is made even better as Spain has relatively low tax...

With this in mind, why pay for expensive hosting in Canada, when P2P is a legitimate activity in Spain? Yes I'm aware of the new laws the US is trying to push through... but filesharers there have already fought them off once.

http://www.ovh.es/productos/hg_2010_xxl.xml
    Website, seedbox, and topsite all in one ^^^^^^^.
    Last edited by TONiC; 03-07-2011 at 11:43 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    but you are saying thats cheap, we have 4 servers and it comes to a little more than that for 1 server. so.....

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    I'm good for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    but you are saying thats cheap, we have 4 servers and it comes to a little more than that for 1 server. so.....
    The server I linked is very cheap; 48terabytes if HDD... surely that's taking up a fair bit of rackspace + 10gbit port @ 40Tbyte data/month [Again, I'm aware of the connection between cheap hosting and poor routing].... I'm merely putting into context for the average user [who may never visit hosting websites] as to what is available. Now, I know for certain you - as owner of BCG - do not need 48TBytes if you are just hosting a tracker... so choose another, cheaper package with less HDD space, less BW and better CPU specs because that's what you've stated is needed more than most.
    Last edited by TONiC; 03-07-2011 at 12:48 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Well something to keep an eye on if we ever do move/get kicked out from where we are, but at this moment in time i am happy where we are, yes we do have the odd hiccough but dont most sites (no site it up 100% of the time, well maybe google)

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by TONiC View Post
    With this in mind, why pay for expensive hosting in Canada, when P2P is a legitimate activity in Spain?
    Because Spain is still in the EU, and there has been heavy lobbying on the EU level for years to enforce (much) stricter copyright infringement laws. Once those lobbying groups are successful, and there has been some 'success' over the years already, those sane Spanish judges won't help, since Spain as a EU member will be forced to adopt the new guidelines / rules.

A good example for this is the telecommunication data retention rule of 2006:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecom...European_Union

All EU members were forced to adopt it, even if it's against their own constitution. There have been numerous attempts to stop this on the national level because of that, and they may even be successful eventually, but that will take years, if not decades.

The real problem is the EU and the over-representation of media lobbying groups / special interest organisations in contrast to the interests of average consumers.

So Spain may be 'safe' for now, but may not be for too long.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Cut-Copy-Paste's Avatar FST Satan BT Rep: +3
    Ok stoi thx ur explanation seems fair enough.

As a Admin of respected tracker my last ques for u (if u feel like answering)

Q. Why r site admins so unwilling to disclose their server spec and exact cost and their host they are using ?

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    I'm good for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Copy-Paste View Post
    Ok stoi thx ur explanation seems fair enough.

As a Admin of respected tracker my last ques for u (if u feel like answering)

Q. Why r site admins so unwilling to disclose their server spec and exact cost and their host they are using ?
    Because they're all making profit. Whether or not this profit is pocketed by the owner, kept for harder times, or reinvested into the tracker is a different matter.
    Last edited by TONiC; 03-07-2011 at 03:03 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    remember when that Mac tracker was going to do it, declare everything (and pay taxes etc) the owner got hounded out.

Its the nature of the beast i am afraid, in the eyes of the law what we do isnt koscha, so we cant really run it as a business, which means declaring anything/everything, I cant even put it on a CV or make a portfolio of it to enhance my job prospects, even just to say "I run a website with 40,000 members so i have leadership qualities" go for the interview, "what website, lets have a look" "Hmmmm sorry no" "OK BYE!".

and our hosts when we went to them, seen a forum post on my tracker and said great, pleased you didnt mention us, keep it quiet, but then bitme.tv use the same host and they have a little logo for them so meh lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast