Thread: virgin media Uk usenet access questions?

my friend just moved to england.

she is completely stupid as hell so i can't really have her help me help her set her up.

does anyone know retention and whatever else for news.virginmedia.com?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Apparently, it's either 7 or 120 days of retention with a maximum of 5 connections. That's what I found on Google, but those posts were from 2008.

You could ask them via e-mail, that should clear all doubts.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    that's all i could find too, i was hoping someone who actually had it would reply.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    n00b
    I'd say to try over on http://community.virginmedia.com/ (Virgin's own support forum) but from what I remember about a six months ago when I helped someone else set theirs up the speed was good but the completion poor. I've been an annual AstraWeb subscriber for about four years now and Virgin is my ISP

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    they have a highwinds backend, completion can't be that bad. i mean yeah bad but not isp run server bad.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Retention is 7 days. It doesn't support SSL. No username or password needed, just use news.virginmedia.com as the server and connect.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I am pretty sure they dont support binaries either you only get text groups now, but i havnt used it in years since i signed up for astraweb.
    Last edited by stoi; 03-13-2011 at 07:41 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    thanks for the info mighty =]

stoi they definitely have all the binaries i just wasn't sure about retention.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    newsgroupie
    news.virginmedia.com traces to Highwinds' Amsterdam usenet server.

Although I have no personal experience with Highwinds ISP-spec. Amsterdam server , I know that with some American ISPs that use Highwinds, the header retention [depending on group] is only around a week or so (has been for many years) but the article body/NZB retention was somewhere around 100 days the last time I checked. (Also, bandwidth can be expected to be throttled to 512K or 1Mbit [depending on plan], but not consistently: sometimes the door is left wide open.) Overall, I consider it very good for a free ISP usenet service, and even better when you add a block account.

BTW, Highwinds ISP-spec usenet service has always included binaries (even all those groups with disgusting names) but I suppose an ISP could request a censored subset or text-only groups if they really wanted.