Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VIP? Yeah, I heard about it...

Poster BT Rep: +4
    He already answered, that it
    makes u feel better, important, cool, l33t, etc
    Hence the...

If you need someone to rub your ego, on something that doesn't really matter, in real life...you have self-esteem issues...

Conversation over...

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by get8p View Post
    LOLUVGOTTABEKIDDINGMEY
    Ill tell u little secret...
    Spoiler: Show

Quote Originally Posted by Disme View Post
    Just act like a decent member. If you feel like filling requests, donating, being active or helping out in any way you can think of just do it, without asking something in return.
    I already did that.

Sorry mate, but your advice = 0.
    It was good advice , the best you are probably going to get and if you weren't such an utter twat you would realize it.

I'm also assuming ,because frankly that's what I do, that you only wish to be VSIP (very self important person) because you think that it will somehow aid you in your quest for even more l33t trackers, which sadly it probably will.

As for other suggestions and I say this in all sincerity
    Spoiler: Show

Btw if I've overstepped the boundaries of what is generally considered acceptable behavior here then what can I say but rank ironically has it's privileges.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 03-14-2011 at 04:02 PM.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Any more suggestions?=)

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by TONiC View Post
    However, being VIP on sites which do have a community usually means: helping out in the forums, posting guides, coding for the site
    That's how I got VIP status on one of the trackers I belong to. Helping other users in the forums and finding a bunch of bugs and "sharp edges" on an experimental version of the site. One day I got a PM from the Admin telling me I had been promoted because of my work on the site.

However, I agree with the general consensus here. Becoming a VIP shouldn't be something you aim for in your trackers. If you contribute a lot and get promoted out of the blue (as it was my case), then cool, but otherwise don't bother. Most of the time you don't get but a few perks and that star next to your nick.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by get8p View Post
    Any more suggestions?=)
    Sod off?
    Can you feel the LOVE

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    That wasn't very Christian of you.

A short list of the benefits of being VIP on a bt torrent tracker .

Respect my lack of authority.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The only place I have it that I care about, it was due to bug testing (general), bug fixes (mostly stylesheets), writing tutorials, chipping in in the help forum/channel, uploading, contributing, etc, etc.

Don't waste your time doing something just for the sake of a promotion. If you love the site, do what you can to help out. If you don't, don't bother. The people who are fishing for the status are painfully obvious. VIP on most sites means your own forum, maybe your own IRC channel, and that's about it. The permissions usually match those of the highest regular user class, and in many cases you don't get anything more than a Power User. It shouldn't be something you aim for, and if it happens, you should be flattered.

I have far more respect for people that help for the sake of helping than those that do so for a status or e-peen boost. And you can easily tell them apart. Then again, based on that request thread for E, we know you're definitely interested in e-peen.

Also if Cabalo is right and the site in question is HDBits... LOL. Good luck with that.
    Last edited by ca_aok; 03-14-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    It's amazing how much of a motivation 'status' is, innit? Even virtual status, what people are willing to do for it always amazes me.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    But the million dollar question: why are you trying to become VIP at hdbits ?
    Three benefits are "not for me" : bragging,valid invites,make fun of others .
    Last edited by Daniel_30; 03-14-2011 at 08:51 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Been "VIP" in couple in couple. Two of them after i stepped down from staff.

One of them came out of nowhere i.e. I had no clue why I got promoted. I didn't know the staff, I didn't donate or do anything. Supposedly it had something to do with being "torrent celebrity" or something like that...whatever it means. I ended up deleting this account shortly after.

The last one came from helping out. Started out as a FLS, several months afterward they lemme have +h on support channel, several months later they let me have +h on main channel...then several after i was promoted to VIP...by this time it had been like ~1.5 years. Came as a surprise to be frankly. And anyone who knows me knows I'm not the kind who just agrees with staff to get favors.

How do you get them? Well it depends. All give out VIPs to those who they think have contributed to the site. A lot of site classify staff of other sites as "VIPs", some give donors "VIPs", others to friends of staff.

BTW, participating (posting, uploading, joining conversation in irc or w/e) to become a VIP, or to gain any stupid rank (power user, elite user, or w/e they are called) is a utter waste of time. don't force yourself to do something what you possibly wouldn't do normally. contribute to a site because you like it not b/c you want something in return. even then don't keep high expectation.
    Last edited by mrnobody; 03-14-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast