Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: VIP? Yeah, I heard about it...

Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mrnobody View Post
    Been "VIP" in couple in couple. Two of them after i stepped down from staff.

One of them came out of nowhere i.e. I had no clue why I got promoted. I didn't know the staff, I didn't donate or do anything. Supposedly it had something to do with being "torrent celebrity" or something like that...whatever it means. I ended up deleting this account shortly after.

The last one came from helping out. Started out as a FLS, several months afterward they lemme have +h on support channel, several months later they let me have +h on main channel...then several after i was promoted to VIP...by this time it had been like ~1.5 years. Came as a surprise to be frankly. And anyone who knows me knows I'm not the kind who just agrees with staff to get favors.

How do you get them? Well it depends. All give out VIPs to those who they think have contributed to the site. A lot of site classify staff of other sites as "VIPs", some give donors "VIPs", others to friends of staff.

BTW, participating (posting, uploading, joining conversation in irc or w/e) to become a VIP, or to gain any stupid rank (power user, elite user, or w/e they are called) is a utter waste of time. don't force yourself to do something what you possibly wouldn't do normally. contribute to a site because you like it not b/c you want something in return. even then don't keep high expectation.
    Objectively speaking, being a Power User at some sites isn't an "utter waste of time." You gain access to forums that allow you to join other sites through giveaways from site staff. And I think some sites don't disable you after being a Power User or above. So it helps those who're inactive for a long time because of life obligations. I may be wrong on that though.

ca_aok said it right. I'd say just work hard in an altruistic manner, and not worry about getting the rank, and you will get there. Although, I'm saying this with the presumption that whatever site you're dying to be VIP, has insightful staff, and not drama-seeking, attention-whoring teenagers. Those are a pain.

Oh, I don't know if it's mentioned yet, but being staff from other sites, may grant you VIP at some sites too. Just an observation.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Thx guys, but Im already helping with lots of stuff...just seems like no1 noticing me doing it and that kinna makes me sad.
    Ps. Hdibits??? Naah, im not even a user of this tracker. non of em either ro or org. I dont like 0days. I like music trackers more <3
    Last edited by get8p; 03-14-2011 at 10:43 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    "torrent celebrity"

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Poster
    You shouldn't be "sad" over something like that in the online world. You'll probably think how dumb you were to think like this 20 years from now.

You should spend that sad energy into mourning the chaos in Libya, or the aftermath in Japan's earthquake. And do something about it.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Quote Originally Posted by A13 View Post
    BTW, participating (posting, uploading, joining conversation in irc or w/e) to become a VIP, or to gain any stupid rank (power user, elite user, or w/e they are called) is a utter waste of time. don't force yourself to do something what you possibly wouldn't do normally. contribute to a site because you like it not b/c you want something in return. even then don't keep high expectation.
    Objectively speaking, being a Power User at some sites isn't an "utter waste of time." You gain access to forums that allow you to join other sites through giveaways from site staff. And I think some sites don't disable you after being a Power User or above. So it helps those who're inactive for a long time because of life obligations. I may be wrong on that though.
    By all means participate and contribute in a site that you've come to like. But don't force yourself to join IRC and idle in IRC just b/c it's a requirement to advance in a userclass.

Oh, I don't know if it's mentioned yet, but being staff from other sites, may grant you VIP at some sites too. Just an observation.
    A lot of site classify staff of other sites as "VIPs"

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Not to mention the fact that there are hundreds of users helping out just as much as you are. If staff gave VIP to every single user that contributed anything to a site, there'd be hundreds if not thousands of them on many trackers.

And yeah, I don't equate Torrent Celebs with VIP status. I think it's a good thing the two are separated in many places.
    Last edited by ca_aok; 03-14-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    "torrent celebrity"
    that was about the answer i got when i inquired about my promotion. in other news, some sites actually have it as a class, or so i heard of.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    I want to be made VIP here at FST, can anyone tell me the secret, and hide the answer so that I can keep that secret. That way not everyone will know how to become VIP here, only me and a few VIP-class people, because surely it won't be public information if it's on the 3rd/4th page possibly hidden with spoiler tags. Oh don't even worry about pming me, this is a serious request, I can't have it getting lost in my inbox. You know my inbox is so busy because I am a big fish in a small pond, so naturally I have to delete all my messages every day before I even check my inbox, which is why there's usually no mail in there k thx
    Last edited by mjmacky; 03-14-2011 at 11:08 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    I want to be made VIP here at FST, can anyone tell me the secret, and hide the answer so that I can keep that secret. That way not everyone will know how to become VIP here, only me and a few VIP-class people, because surely it won't be public information if it's on the 3rd/4th page possibly hidden with spoiler tags. Oh don't even worry about pming me, this is a serious request, I can't have it getting lost in my inbox. You know my inbox is so busy because I am a big fish in a small pond, so naturally I have to delete all my messages every day before I even check my inbox, which is why there's usually no mail in there k thx
    If I could grant you VIP status for that one post I would.Sadly though FST is not enlightened enough yet to realize that dividing people into alienating ,different classes based largely on arbitrary reasons so that we can then all get along better is not the just thing to do.

ca_aok said it right. I'd say just work hard in an altruistic manner, and not worry about getting the rank, and you will get there.
    Am I the only one getting mixed messages here?
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 03-14-2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I would
    Coming from you, I already feel VIP; for you could grant it the entire time, it was always in your heart. Click click, there's no place like the internet, click click, there's no place like the internet...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast