Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What constitues a "good" game?

Of course I'm being very general here, but that was intentional.
    In whatever genre you find of interest, what characteristics make it a "good" game?

In my opinion, RPGs are getting better and better with the utilization of the Next Gen. Consoles.
    Better graphics and awesome gameplay.
    For example, Final Fantasy XIII.
    I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't played it, nor do I own a Next Gen. Console, but my desire to play the game is strong.
    Square Enix surprises me with their amazing orchestral scores, theories of gameplay, storyline (although it's starting to get a bit old. A trend of trite, cliched stories.), and that strong urge to play the game despite how many times you die or fail at the game.

2. Games   -   #2
    For me.. Storyline or plot comes first, closely followed by graphics and the AI.. Of course.. I'm meaning for FPS..

The terrains are important too.. The challenge provided by the game.. and also the reward gained at the end.. You don't want to be playing a game, only to be rewarded by just a "congratulations.. you completed the game'..

Gameplay and controls are important.

Finally.. The most important one.. The element that makes you play the game till the end.. the one that keeps you going..

3. Games   -   #3
    Borderlands completes most of those conditions, only it wasn't made for graphics, just for tons of gameplay.
    Though it does get repetitive, seeing the same enemy and shooting their heads off.

4. Games   -   #4
    BANNED
    *Innovative* gameplay, an good storyline, and good graphics in my opinion

5. Games   -   #5
    It's hard to "innovate" gameplay when there isn't much to innovate.
    Then again, that's at some point in the far future.

6. Games   -   #6
    Jej's Avatar Member
    graphics and storyline are less important than the gameplay imo

7. Games   -   #7
    Mm... Yeaah.. Not really..

If I played a shooter with graphics like Doom 1, I'd shoot myself unless the game was really good (as in super awesome storyline and game play).

The storyline at least should be somewhat interesting. I've heard that Borderlands has an awful storyline but the gameplay is addicting and awesome. The same with the graphics, assuming you put it on turbo. :x

8. Games   -   #8
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    How fun it is. How much it makes me want to keep playing.

9. Games   -   #9
    i.e. World of Warcraft.

10. Games   -   #10
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    The game shouldn't be too easy, there has to be some challenge to it. It shouldn't be too long, cause you should have a life outside it. It should end eventually, cause MMORPGs are for geeks. It should still be fun, despite all being said. A good story doesn't hurt but isn't necessary. Graphics used to be important, but today no game looks bad anymore imo, in the olden days you had to have a vivid imagination to see shapes where big pixels were.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast