Thread: Problem with router dlink DIR-600

Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Hello everyone !

I just bought this router but for some reason i can't connect to the internet .

The router that i'm using right now is DSL-2640B and it works fine , another router i tried also works .

I got to the ip of the router , make a new connection with the ISP details but it doesn't connect . It seems that it doesn't even get the dns from isp , the lan works but it doesn't get any ips , i mean the gateway , the preferred dsn etc

I have to automatically get dns from ip , but it doesn't so maybe i have to edit something in the local connection preferences ?

I'm really desperate because i have tried everything to make it work , even remove windows xp and put windows 7 but still doesn't . Again this router is brand new .

Thanks for your help 8-)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I guess look at dhcp settings, maybe try a static ip in local connection settings, check cmd/ipconfig, and look at wan connection type and ensure the correct name and pass is there as well as the right wan ip.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Have you already had a router in the past? If not, you may need to enable MAC cloning. That setting will make the router send your network card's MAC address to your ISP instead of its own one. Most providers don't need this, but it doesn't hurt to try.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I have tried cloning my mac address , but it didn't work . It's very weird . I have even tried putting the dsn that i get with the other router into this one .

Again it doesn't work . It's something that has to do with dhcp but i can't figure it out .

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    It might simply be a faulty (D.O.A.) router, just because it is new doesn't mean it isn't faulty, a certain amount of hardware gets through QC.

Other options include a hardware reset (there will be a reset switch on the back of the router, it is usually slightly recessed, with the power off hold this in for 10secs and it will erase all the user settings and force a factory default reset.
    You should also check to see if there are any firmware updates from the manufacturer that need to be applied, but my first guess is that there is a fault, rather than an incorrect setting.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabber View Post
    The router that i'm using right now is DSL-2640B and it works fine , another router i tried also works .
    I might be missing something here, but the situation you're describing seems to me to be impossible.

Your existing DSL-2640B "router" is NOT a router but a modem + router combo. It cannot be swapped-out with "another router" because, for one thing, modems and routers use different incoming connections. In addition, there is no way that you could replace it with another modem/router combo and instantly get a working internet connection, because a modem's MAC address is hard-coded and cannot be cloned - so the ISP would have to approve any modem swaps before you could get your internet connection restored using a replacement modem.

So I don't understand exactly what you're attempting to do. Install your new D-Link DIR-600 router as an (additional) access point downstream of your existing DSL-modem-router?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabber View Post

......the ISP would have to approve any modem swaps before you could get your internet connection restored using a replacement modem.
    What Nazi ISP are you with exactly, that has to approve a modem swap ?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    What Nazi ISP are you with exactly, that has to approve a modem swap ?
    That's how it is where I live, too. You can't just switch to a different modem and expect it to work.

I never liked modem-router hybrids - in one side you have the convenience of having everything on a single device, on the other side that's an inconvenience if something breaks.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Wow, I'm surprised, if an ISP tried that here they would have an exceedingly small clientele. The ISP's here (New Zealand) usually offer a modem or modem router with a 12month contract, the problem being the router's supplied are usually cheap and nasty, so many people change and upgrade their modems. I prefer a modem/router combo for a couple of reasons, but the main one is firmware. With DSL technology and the hardware behind it changing it is simpler to keep one device updated, and here too standalone modems are not sold very much at all giving poor options.
    I personally use a Belkin N1 Vision modem/router, the status displays are very useful in terms of the information that can be accessed at a glance.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    D-Link has good support. It cost around 4 euros if its not something wrong with the router but it can be worth it=)