Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a WD Velociraptor 10000 RPM drive?

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    This recent issue with my SSD going belly up got me thinking more and more about backups. I already keep my important items on a separate drive than my OS, but I have no actual backup for them. What I was thinking was simplifying my drives setup.

My current setup consists of a 60gb SSD, a 1tb drive and a few old 250gb drives. What I had in mind was moving toward something like this:

60gb SSD - OS (and a few programs that require a 'C' drive install).
    300gb 10000 RPM - Main drive for program/apps installations.
    1tb - Music, etc... (All media)
    2tb - Used only for backups.

This would require buying the 10000 RPM drive (link $149) and a 2tb drive (link $109)

I know that platform drives are aging technology, but SSD's are pretty pricy still. So the question is:

For my programs/apps installations, would I be better suited buying a 300gb 10K RPM drive for $149 or spending $250-300 on another SSD at around 120gb? I really don't want to spend the money on an SSD if there's no real reason to.

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Firstly...what's the difference between a program and an app?
    Just pointlessly curious is all.

How large does this "app drive" need to be?

I don't think I'd invest in the VRaptor at this stage in hard drive development.
    Kinda like showing up at the Indy 500 with the world's fastest horse.
    Yeah, it's fast...for an animal -but can't compete with a car.

If speed is the issue, SSD is the answer.
    If size matters (the jury is still out), then a regular SATA is the best bang-per-dollar.
    I don't consider the marginally noticeable speed bump of the Raptor a justification for it's absurdly high price.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Seagate does hybrid ssd/mechanical 2.5"drives, not as quick as an ssd, but beats a raptor off and on, and is cheaper, at least here. Here's a comparison between some different drives: http://www.anandtech.com/print/3734 including a raptor and a hybrid (XT).

But clocker is right, for speed, ssd beats the alternatives, and a regular mechanical drive gives you the most gigabytes for the money.
    Last edited by Snee; 03-17-2011 at 05:28 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    K. Think I'm going to buy these two tonight when I get home from work. That is, unless someone wants to talk me out of it today.

SSD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227529

HDD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148433

Total cost - $264.98
    Last edited by Skiz; 03-21-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added links

yo

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I can't access that wishlist or whatevs, but good luck with it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Put new links.

yo

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Looks fine to me.

Not done a lot of seagates, and I heard something about dodgy firmware or something on some, maybe a year back, but since that I've heard nothing bad. I'll prolly buy one of those hybrids I mentioned, myself, for my laptop, later this year. Otherwise my own desktop machine is full of WDs (and two corsair SSDs), which are nice.

Only done Corsairs for ssds, and not really got a handle on the OCZ lineup, but I don't think a vertex II will be shit, either.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I've never had a WD fail me. I've just already got one of those exact same Seagate 1tb drives running in this computer, so I just figured I'd grab another.

I can't really sing OCZ's praises right now seeing what recently happened, but with a 3 year warranty again, I feel aptly covered. I will be waiting to make sure everything goes smoothly with this RMA before giving them more of my money though. Would hate to drop another $200 on OCZ hardware for them to turn around and be complete assholes about something tomorrow.

Gonna go ahead and grab that Seagate later tonight I suppose.

yo

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    So, I bought the 100GB SSD today, that I linked to before.

Newegg won't let me buy that Seagate 1TB drive anymore b/c they now have it lumped in with some package deal. So I ended up getting a 2TB WD "Green" drive. Seeing as it will be solely for backups, a 5400rpm drive should be no problems at all.
    Last edited by Skiz; 03-25-2011 at 07:56 PM.

yo

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    That'll do, I've got a 1TB and a 3TB drive myself (speaking of WD greens I mean). One issue with the 3TB drive is that it'll only work with the controllers on my mobo if they are set to IDE mode, which may or may not be a problem for you (with the 2TB drive). Hopefully your, I think newer than my X58 platform, mobo won't have any issues though.
    Last edited by Snee; 03-26-2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: durr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast