Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two fundamental types of trackers

1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Type One:
    - Improvements aim to make the site as efficient as possible so users will have to spend as little time as they have to on the site, all the while trying to provide the best speeds and the content that the user is expecting
    -run like a business and decisions are normally made based on practicality, and how they will bring the site to their end goal (activity/money/whatever).
    -tracker is central, a community may build itself around the tracker, or may not.

examples: Whatcd, HDBits, FTN, BCG, TorrentBytes, (most 0days), the list goes on..

Type Two:
    - Improvements aim to coax the user into spending as much time as possible on the site, all the while trying to provide the best speeds and the content the user is expecting
    -hobby sites that are run based on emotion and unrealistic ideals; decisions are made without a clear connection to the endgame plan.
    - community is normally centric and stressed

examples: PTN, CE, probably a ton of trackers that have long since closed their doors due to lack of donations or some form of drama.

Spoiler: Show
    Last edited by 1000possibleclaws; 03-20-2011 at 06:10 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    The two "fundamental" types of trackers are:
    1. public
    2. private.

End of thread.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Type 3 : Sites loaded with seedboxes that are hard to seed and who want you to pay 2 leech

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint View Post
    Type 3 : Sites loaded with seedboxes that are hard to seed and who want you to pay 2 leech
    That would fall under type 2, my dear.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    So what's more important in the greater scheme of things,speed or retention?Speed or not having to overly worry about a ratio?
    Also for any "mainstream" tracker is initial speed ever really an issue to anyone?

Also do sites really try to get people to spend time on them or are they just trying to exploring other options to the norm and some of those options happen to be things that are of interest to the staff?
    Respect my lack of authority.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by heiska View Post
    The two "fundamental" types of trackers are:
    1. public
    2. private.

End of thread.

Well fuck you for your rude 'end of thread' comment that's preceded by offtopic nonsense. Public trackers go into my 'type one', because afaik they don't reward you for refreshing their pages or browsing their forums. Also, if you're going by what I've specified, having seedboxes has absolutely nothing to do with either type. Troll / moron.

Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Also do sites really try to get people to spend time on them or are they just trying to exploring other options to the norm and some of those options happen to be things that are of interest to the staff?
    I guess its safe to broaden 'Type Two' to include: 'makes changes based on staff preferences, regardless of how they will improve or be detrimental to the userbase'

The obvious point I see in this is that successful sites do not focus on trying to waste users time by rewarding idling on irc, pages refreshes, posting in forums, because those do nothing to affect the core of a successful torrent site, which is its traffic economy. They are all streamlined, and all of those extras mentioned above are entirely optional, usually with little to no benefit besides whatever practicality they offer in of themselves.
    Last edited by 1000possibleclaws; 03-20-2011 at 12:42 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Type 1 trackers have obviously been more successful. Type 2 trackers buy into the same problem that surrounds WTAW, the idea that exclusivity and "community" somehow make up for lack of content. It's not totally mutually exclusive (for example HDBits is now exclusive and still has a ton of content) but for the most part, people who go out of their way to make the site as community oriented as possible get a strong core of members loyal to the site, but not much else. And once those core members have donated a few times or uploaded whatever they have, the site pretty much runs dry.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    You don't need a tracker to have a community. That's why "community tracker" is usually just a buzzword and excuse to make up for a lack of content and activity on the tracker.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbeebops View Post
    You don't need a tracker to have a community. That's why "community tracker" is usually just a buzzword and excuse to make up for a lack of content and activity on the tracker.
    but traders like those kind of trackers very much.

Quote Originally Posted by heiska View Post
    End of thread.
    It's harsh comment towards OP.
    Last edited by bijoy; 03-20-2011 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Teh n00b.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    but traders like those kind of trackers very much.
    ...someone has to.
    Last edited by chrisbeebops; 03-20-2011 at 05:57 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast