Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Christian Bale get lead roles?

iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1

Spoiler: Show
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Thank you, I fucking hate his stoic expressions being passed off as acting.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I could state the obvious that his movies make a lot of money and until they cease to do so irritating to you as it is he will still be offered leading roles but I won't.

As for his l acting skill I think you are confusing lack of range with lack of talent. Some actors can convey a great deal without outwardly expressing a lot .
    Suggest for (maybe ) better appreciation of what he has to offer you watch The Machinist or Harsh Times or American Psycho or The Fighter.
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I believe his Batman role has been overrated, but for the movies listed by Idol (I could look up some others, but am on my way to bed), I have considered him talented, and enjoyable. His role in The Fighter (where he plays a washed-up, crack addicted failure) showed me that he is still willing to take good roles (and make them shine) even if they are not glamorous, look at me, I'm either too good for this role and phoning it in, or sticking to typecast, comfortable roles.

Bale has shown his talent and range, IMO. He seems to enjoy variety and works hard in his roles.

Edit- compare him to Tom Cruise, or Nicholas Cage to clarify above. He's not a pretty-boy "superspy", nor cartoonish take every role and make it mediocre actor.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 03-17-2011 at 03:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Having just watched The Fighter I have problems seeing the lack of range expressed, his performance was impressive.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    I'll give some leeway on the Fighter, but I could have done without his role in it. Batman films, Equilibrium, Public Enemies, have all caused me to have an irritated reaction to him. Others could have done more amazing things with those roles... instead it's given to him. Mark Wahlberg, as predictable as he can be in some roles, does amazing work in others (I <3 Huckabees, 4 Brothers, 3 kings).
    Harsh Times is a film I have yet to see.
    You know I also had the same disgust with Tom Cruise and I was told over and over again he was so great in Tropic Thunder. I finally watched the movie, it sucked, and his performance was a bit low brow and juvenile. So I'm not really receptive to people trying to sell me someone's acting (temporally, as this was recent).
    Last edited by mjmacky; 03-17-2011 at 09:13 PM.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    So I'm not really receptive to people trying to sell me someone's acting.
    That's fair enough. I've had people attempt to justify Travolta's continued employment (since Welcome Back Cotter was canceled), and they have failed to do so. Bale is FAR better than Travolta, so I am saying that CB is well above the sludge line, and doesn't really belong in a "he sucks" thread like this one.

There are a lot of "movie stars" out there who continually get roles for that notoriety. Bale has earned his work, IMO.

What standards are you setting? Are you looking for Shakespearean actors? Bale wouldn't be too good in that sort of role, granted. However, playing emotionally troubled, angst-driven, modern characters he does pretty good. Who would be better in his roles? (The Batman franchise can be left out since there are at least two others who have stank up the role FAR worse.)
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    That's fair enough. I've had people attempt to justify Travolta's continued employment (since Welcome Back Cotter was canceled), and they have failed to do so. Bale is FAR better than Travolta, so I am saying that CB is well above the sludge line, and doesn't really belong in a "he sucks" thread like this one.

There are a lot of "movie stars" out there who continually get roles for that notoriety. Bale has earned his work, IMO.

What standards are you setting? Are you looking for Shakespearean actors? Bale wouldn't be too good in that sort of role, granted. However, playing emotionally troubled, angst-driven, modern characters he does pretty good. Who would be better in his roles? (The Batman franchise can be left out since there are at least two others who have stank up the role FAR worse.)
    If I knew that, I could really make it as a casting director. I would at least try a response, but I'm running out of time and have to head into the lab so... to be continued

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    If I knew that, I could really make it as a casting director. I would at least try a response, but I'm running out of time and have to head into the lab so... to be continued
    I'm hoping your "superior intellect" can come up with something more than, "I think he sucks". I'll wait for that "overly analytical" response.

Good luck with that batch of Meth!
    Last edited by megabyteme; 03-17-2011 at 09:51 PM.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    Christian Bale is a good, solid actor. In today's ocean of turd, that's quite something.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast