Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advertising standards

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by diziizleri View Post
    Hi, I'm an idiot that's not going to even bother reading any part of this thread and make some sort of generic post so that little number at the bottom of my badge goes up. I'm afraid doing any more than that might accidentally be construed as effort derp derp derp
    agreed

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #22
    newsgroupie
    @mjmacky - the user "diziizleri" is obviously a spam-bot, probably the same as the dozen other users who registered here and post "thank you for sharing" over and over.

These spambots are usually easy to spot. The name is often a random combination of letters and numbers, and they usually post short off-topic comments in broken English. Their goal is to spam their website on every forum where they can breach registration captchas, using a URL link in either the post or the the user signature, or the user's "about" page. Some bulletin boards are set up to filter out new user's URLs, so that is why we often don't see them.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #23
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    @mjmacky - the user "diziizleri" is obviously a spam-bot, probably the same as the dozen other users who registered here and post "thank you for sharing" over and over.

These spambots are usually easy to spot. The name is often a random combination of letters and numbers, and they usually post short off-topic comments in broken English. Their goal is to spam their website on every forum where they can breach registration captchas, using a URL link in either the post or the the user signature, or the user's "about" page. Some bulletin boards are set up to filter out new user's URLs, so that is why we often don't see them.
    I know as much, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun right? There's also the off chance that it could be a live human being, and what a tragedy it would be if that went uninsulted...

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #24
    zot is right, although these bots aren't even spamming links of any kind. Maybe they want to use their signature, but can't since that's disabled for n00bs?

Either way, still annoying to see a bunch of them every day
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #25
    newsgroupie
    Google is largely to blame for the spambot invasion because the search engine encourages link-spamming by ranking a site according to how widely spammed its links are.

With all the money Google has, I'm sure they could easily design a system to ignore links posted to forums by "one hit wonders" - and that alone would solve the spambot problem. But then I was saying this a half-dozen years ago when it all started.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #26
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    Google is largely to blame for the spambot invasion because the search engine encourages link-spamming by ranking a site according to how widely spammed its links are.

With all the money Google has, I'm sure they could easily design a system to ignore links posted to forums by "one hit wonders" - and that alone would solve the spambot problem. But then I was saying this a half-dozen years ago when it all started.
    They did, it was rel="nofollow", but for some reason they've started ignoring that as of 2009...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123