Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Explorer Running

I have Explorer.exe running all the time in the background. It is the biggest resource hog in the task manager using 18,032 k . Iam connected with cable internet. Using windows xp pro with other users.

Can I set this up to only start up when we want to use this???

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    if you really want to, you can end explorer...but then you'll lose a lot of the functionality of your computer...

just open task manager, right click on explorer.exe and end it
    then when you want to use it, go to "new task" on task manager and type in "explorer"
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    So if I stop it in my task manager it will affect more than just my browsing ??

Also it wont start up again by clicking on my desktop icon ???

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by ricochet@9 November 2003 - 15:31
    So if I stop it in my task manager it will affect more than just my browsing ??

Also it wont start up again by clicking on my desktop icon ???
    i think you&#39;re confusing things here...

if you end explorer, you won&#39;t see the desktop

you won&#39;t see your taskbar, nothing, you&#39;ll only see task manager...

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    , ok thanks. that I didnt know. That I better leave alone...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    here&#39;s some more info on explorer.exe:

"Process File: explorer or explorer.exe
    Process Name: Program Manager
    Description: The Windows Program Manager or Windows Explorer handles the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start-menu, Taskbar, Desktop and File Manager
    Common Errors: N/A
    System Process: Yes"

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...brary/explorer/

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Just so you know, explorer.exe is not Internet Expllorer; to simplify things, let&#39;s just say it is Windows.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    first, if end task exploere.exe, windows will reload it automaically cos it&#39;s part of the OS core
    second, if u succeed in not loading exploer.exe, then u might as well dld windows 3.1

if ur concerned about the resources and RAM explorer.exe is using then i&#39;d recommend u google and reserach for a while on relating to optimizing and understanding how windows operates to better ur OS experience.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by nikita69@9 November 2003 - 19:11
    first, if end task exploere.exe, windows will reload it automaically cos it&#39;s part of the OS core
    not necessarily...i can end explorer.exe on windows xp and sit for as long as i want before i reload it

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+10 November 2003 - 01:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 10 November 2003 - 01:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nikita69@9 November 2003 - 19:11
    not necessarily...i can end explorer.exe on windows xp and sit for as long as i want before i reload it [/b][/quote]
    that&#39;s why i said second. lol. eventhough i disagree with m&#036; in the way they programmed that file&#39;s functionality, yet not having explorer.exe loaded is like like having a car without the stearing wheel. u can still use some win functions yet to a minimal and unstable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast