Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I hate about XYplorer

iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    First off I would like to say that XYplorer is great for those who want a simplistic yet advanced side by side interface without right clicking the task bar and going tile <#vertically/horizontally> (XP) or show side by side (Win Vista/7).

So far what I absolutely hate is that I can't have a second tree for the second panel. Anyone know a solution?

Still great app, well worth the look.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    teflon05's Avatar Pessimistic Optimist BT Rep: +2
    Hmmm...I never tried it, but it looks to be similar to Total Commander. Is it better somehow?
    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. — P.J. O'Rourke

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. — Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I used Total Commander (former Win Commander) for more than a decade, but switched to Freecommander a few years ago because it is substantially faster at copying files over the network (often 3-4 times as fast). It doesn't have all the functions of the former, but the vast majority of them, which is good enough for me. Since I tend to move a lof of files over my LAN, speed is more important to me.

http://www.freecommander.com/

(Freeware)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Hey, I'm a former TC user, too! Amazing program - back in the day I spent more time using that than Windows' own Explorer. I don't really remember why I stopped using it, actually...

Note there's a pack called Total Commander Ultima Prime which is TC plus a truckload of plugins and goodies.

shipwreck: I didn't even have a LAN back then, so I didn't notice that. Now I do, I use a Filezilla FTP server to move files between my two computers. Maximum Fast Ethernet speed.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Freecommander is very fast at normal file copies via SMB, I hit 70MB/s easily (so my HDDs are likely the bottleneck; don't have a SSD to test). FTP is more efficient than SMB, but at those speeds, it's not worth the fuss, at least for me.

I used TC ever since I used Windows really. Always hated Windows Explorer, and I've been used to the side by side 'commander' interface ever since the Norton Commander DOS days.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    try directory opus [gpsoftware.com.au] or the free version of xplorer2. dual vertical view in dopus gives you what you're looking for and it replaces explorer easier than tc or others.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    yevgeny, where's the option to have another dir tree on the second panel?
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    it gives a directory tree for each file list by clicking dual vertical/horizontal, i think i may have misread your post ...

<.>
    Last edited by yevgeny; 04-11-2011 at 11:50 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    yevgeny, thanks that was exactly what I was looking for .

Classic theme FTW!

EDIT: Are you sure Directory Opus is free? - I keep getting licensing reminders.

Main Program: Enabled, Expires on 5/11/2011.
    Last edited by iLOVENZB; 04-11-2011 at 08:54 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    its not freeware unfortunately.

q-dir
    xplorer2 and
    servant salamander are the free windows file managers i know of .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast