Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pg Blocklist For Zonealarm, I Did All The Work

Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@10 November 2003 - 10:36
    specially recommanded and highly praised by steve and computer security experts...

www.grc.com
    that Steve Gibson knows his stuff...Ive been visiting his site for a few years now...

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    SniperInTheShadows's Avatar Poster
    This has amazing potential, but one thing about it still bothers me i'm soz to say.

Surely once the list is imported into ZA then !NO! connection's from the IP's within the list should be able to get through, which is the main reason for the program and adding the list to ZA?

Any connection's getting through would mean that there's something wrong with the conversion and addition to the ZA xml file and importing it into ZA wouldn't it?

I've been testing it and so far have still had a few connection's getting through (i've had PeerGuardian running as backup just to be sure during testing and it's still blocking a few connection's that have gotten through ZA despite the list being imported) :-(

I really hope that this is just a minor bug either in ZA itself or your program that will be fixed soon as so far what you've done is brilliant work and well worth thanking you for, so...

Thank's james_bond_rulez for making this program and sharing it with everyone :-) Great job so far :-)

Sniper.

EDIT : Just another little piece of feed-back, I run Window's XP and have had no problem installing it and no problem running the program :-) Just thought you might like to know that it seem's to be fully compatible with XP :-)

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    muchspl2
    its because your running both, just run za, when both try to deny the connections they bind and conflict, you can test it by going to riaa.com or mpaa.com ect
    and yes again thanks for this, but to be safe you should update the list every week, so maybe every week or so you could update the xml for all the n00b's and lazy folks like me
    I did it awhile ago on my main pc, but I got the list on all my pc's now

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    I do not suggest that people swap their xml files since that file contains what programs you allow to access along with all your other personal settings. It would be much better to set up the file for yourself so that you are only adding the IP's to your current ZA profile and do not find a series of programs that are allowed and some that are not from someone elses preferences...

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Double Agent
    thx for the feedback everybody

i had the program installed on winxp (although i am running win2k pro and had winxp installed through virtual machine) so it should be compatible with za run on winxp.

i've run the program again yesterday and the zaupdate added a few more ip ranges and fixed redudent addresses and fixed wrong characters.

i'll update it again so noob can download.

PS: if you import MY file all your za settings would be lost, just a lil warning for those who use my file. I'll keep the file as default as possible.

and yes i'll update it as regularly as possible

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    SniperInTheShadows's Avatar Poster
    Thank's for the concern REALITY :-) However, I double checked all my program and security settings after updating the xml file and there's no extra program's listed and my setting where the same except for the blocklist being added.

I believe that the program mearly searches for the right section to add the list into within the xml file and just updates that section, making no changes to anything else from what I can see when comparing the before and after files :-)

Sniper.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by REALITY@12 November 2003 - 00:57
    I do not suggest that people swap their xml files since that file contains what programs you allow to access along with all your other personal settings. It would be much better to set up the file for yourself so that you are only adding the IP's to your current ZA profile and do not find a series of programs that are allowed and some that are not from someone elses preferences...
    that's why i'll keep the settings "as default as possible", that means stripping all the program access, expert rules except the banning list

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Double Agent
    i just updated again

blocklist effective Nov 11, 2003 with default settings

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Originally posted by SniperInTheShadows@11 November 2003 - 17:32
    Thank's for the concern REALITY :-) However, I double checked all my program and security settings after updating the xml file and there's no extra program's listed and my setting where the same except for the blocklist being added.

I believe that the program mearly searches for the right section to add the list into within the xml file and just updates that section, making no changes to anything else from what I can see when comparing the before and after files :-)
    Yes that is exactly what it does, I was reffering to using jbr personal xml, or mine for that matter. I loaded jbr xml in my ZA and I can see all the programs he allows access to on the "program control" tab, also now when I want to reuse Shareaza for example it will reask me since all my old settings would be lost, though this is not a neccessarily a major issue and this be still a good idea for lazy nOObs I imagine. Though don't forget if all you use KL++ you really don't need this at all since these ranges are built into the IP blocker as well...

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by REALITY+12 November 2003 - 06:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (REALITY @ 12 November 2003 - 06:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SniperInTheShadows@11 November 2003 - 17:32
    Thank&#39;s for the concern REALITY :-) However, I double checked all my program and security settings after updating the xml file and there&#39;s no extra program&#39;s listed and my setting where the same except for the blocklist being added.

Yes that is exactly what it does, I was reffering to using jbr personal xml, or mine for that matter. I loaded jbr xml in my ZA and I can see all the programs he allows access to on the "program control" tab, also now when I want to reuse Shareaza for example it will reask me since all my old settings would be lost... [/b][/quote]
    that&#39;s exactly what i posted in my first post

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast