Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pg Blocklist For Zonealarm, I Did All The Work

Poster
    i'm having trouble getting zonealarm 4.5.53, right now i have 4.5.517, will the file work in it

proud to be american

2. File Sharing   -   #42
    muchspl2
    yes, 4 and above can import the bad ip list

3. File Sharing   -   #43
    Poster
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@9 November 2003 - 20:20
    DIY: http://home.comcast.net/~zaupdate/

here is the finished file u dont wanna bother

Blocklist as of Nov 23 2003

I changed my host so everybody can download, just remove the .jpg after download.

This file is for zonealarm pro 4.5.530 (most up-to-date)

happy file sharing!!

WARNING: By using this file you are risking your zonealarm settings, plz back up ur current setting before you apply this one. I will NOT be held responsible for any damages to your computers if you use my file.
    wait what do i do here. i went 2 the link its just 1 long as link!

4. File Sharing   -   #44
    It appears importing with ZAUpdate might not be effective...
    http://www.peerguardian.net/forums/index.p...st=0&#entry9605
    I think you may need to be a member to view.

5. File Sharing   -   #45
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by REALITY@26 November 2003 - 08:03
    It appears importing with ZAUpdate might not be effective...
    http://www.peerguardian.net/forums/index.p...st=0&#entry9605
    I think you may need to be a member to view.
    why dont u post the content here so everybody can read?

6. File Sharing   -   #46
    y'all may want to check the thread linked below as it talks about a peerguardian forum test to see if zapro can block various anti p2p urls- we've been getting mixed results with those using zaupdate (disclaimer: the info is only as good as those posting it so beware)
    http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?act=ST&f=13&t=84246

please post there as i don't want to be accused of hijacking this thread

thanks,

ddd

7. File Sharing   -   #47
    also i was under the impression that james_bond_rulez was the creator/developer of zaupdate but that is not the case (maybe i was the only one thinking that)

we have a forum mod at the pg forum, forcedfx, who is behind the zaupdate prog and his faq is at http://home.comcast.net/~zaupdate/ which is listed at the beginning of this thread

just fyi

ddd

8. File Sharing   -   #48
    Ok, I'm the one who developed the program ZAUpdate so I'm the one who should take the beating.

Some people may be using versions of 1.6 and lower which have a fatal flaw once the ban list grows to be more than 900 IP ranges. 1.7 and up are able to compensate for this. Understandably, people who were using 1.6 and lower are now afraid to try again. In fact, most poeple probably don't realize 1.6 and lower versions are no good these days and I've been trying to get the word out.

The technique of using ZoneAlarm with ZAUpdate works but I'm finding some problems that are confusing people.

1. Running ZoneAlarm and PeerGuardian at the same time you will ALWAYS see the connection log in BOTH programs. PeerGuardian is quicker to block the connection, whereas, ZoneAlarm seems to think about it longer before sending a "no packet for you" message to Windows. People see the log in PG and automatically think the connection got by. But if they were to go into their ZA alert log (Alerts & Logs > Log Viewer) they'll see the website's URL pop up under the "Destination DNS" column. Looking for the log in PG and seeing the regected connection but then not checking the ZA log freaks people out.

2. People are testing website URLs that do not always have the same IP address. I can't remember which one it is off-hand, but there is a website in the blocklist whose IP address almost appears to flip flop from one IP to another. One of those IPs falls within the IP range in the blocklist while the other does not. For instance, CNN. They probably have about 5 different IP addresses, if one of those IP addresses is not within the range once in a while their webpage will load up in your browser. If your computer cannot connect to a Web URL at the current known IP address it will query to find out if there are any other IP addresses tied to it. Just as many URL's can be tied to one IP address, many IP addresses can be tied to one URL. In the span of this write up I was able to find that 64.236.24.48, 64.236.16.20, and 64.236.24.137 are all tied to the CNN.COM URL. Block one or two of them and "the network" will try to find you another way to get there.

3. People don't know how to use it properly, even though it can't get any simpler and the website goes into great detail.

4. People are confusing it with the process of manually importing the ranges into an XML file. There is NO cut and paste involved with ZAUpdate. All of your settings are left in tact (even your own custom rules and groups). If in the past you were using the manual update method by cutting and pasting XML data you should remove any of those settings before creating the backup XML file that ZAUpdate will edit.

I've done all the testing I can and haven't had any of the tested IPs get by while running ZA by itself. And the people who know their way around ZoneAlarm pretty well are able to use the program and have good results.

9. File Sharing   -   #49
    Double Agent
    pg blocklist is quite useless, ppl seem to get notices even if they use the blocklist

but thx for the info anywayz

10. File Sharing   -   #50
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@29 November 2003 - 00:30
    pg blocklist is quite useless, ppl seem to get notices even if they use the blocklist

but thx for the info anywayz
    no the pg blocklist is not completely useless

btw- how many ranges did you have imported into zapro4 when you got busted? the lists ppl are using from meth's site are behind the times/ the db there is under construction and since it hasn't been up full time the lists weren't being updated that often

also my hunch is that zapro is not able to handle all the ranges under the current xml setup - so ppl shouldn't be relying on zapro as their only defense

ddd

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast