Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Caught File Sharing on Utorrent

I've been file sharing on utorrent for years now, and never had any problems. Then yesterday a friend of mine came over and downloaded a movie for his girlfriend (Black Swan) and then everyone in my house got emails from our ISP telling us to cease copyright infringement.

I use utorrent to download TV shows because I don't have access to them any other way. My question is this: Now that I've received these letters, do I have to stop? Are they going to be watching me somehow, monitoring my IP address, or can I just steer clear of movie downloads from now on and be ok? I really want to be able to continue getting my favorite shows...

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    That link is interesting but i'm not sure it answered my question.

I'm asking specifically if my ISP (Time Warner) or the MPAA, or other anti-fileshare parties will be actively watching me from now on, now that I've received this warning letter, or if i'll be ok if I just stick to safe sites and small downloads.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by RicAdbur View Post
    I'm asking specifically if my ISP (Time Warner) or the MPAA, or other anti-fileshare parties will be actively watching me from now on
    They won't be watching you any more than they "watch" the millions of Internet users from your country. Get a good IP filter, avoid public trackers and consider a Usenet or OCH subscription, both of which don't require you to upload.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Ok, thanks. I'll do that. Can you recommend a good IP filter? I found this article that says it can be done in uTorrent, but is there a better option?

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/6443/ip...with_utorrent/
    Last edited by RicAdbur; 04-11-2011 at 10:07 PM.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by RicAdbur View Post
    Can you recommend a good IP filter?
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ed2k...es/uIpfilterX/

First one below the folders should be the newest one. Updates are released semi-regularly.

I found this article that says it can be done in uTorrent, but is there a better option?
    If you're only using uTorrent, then there's nothing better than its built-in IP filtering capabilities.
    Last edited by anon; 04-11-2011 at 10:19 PM.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Ok thanks.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Use peerblock

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Or get a VPN.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiccup View Post
    Use peerblock
    Built-in ipfilter.dat support or P2PFire (if on XP or below) > PeerBlock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast