Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Dissin' a franchise

  1. #1
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    day book
    Posts
    10,853
    Thinking about dissing a franchise and hearing a Terry Gross interview today, I had recalled a memory of an incident that made my opinion slam right into my wife's face.

    My wife used to watch Dawson's Creek back in the day, and I used to dismiss it as garbage. Later on my wife would watch Gilmore Girls, and it used to really annoy me when it was on in the background; I used to politely ask her to tell those bitches to shut the fuck up. It started turning into a thing, where I would constantly make fun of and harangue her favorite show, and this really picked up when she spent $60-$100 on a Gilmore Girls DVD boxset. I expressed my opinion at the time that it was the single worst purchase ever made in our household. She strongly disagreed.

    So a few years ago, she was off in Serbia, and I was out with some friends. I come home to find our apartment had been robbed. Using our own trash bags, they relieved us of our XBOX, jewelry, various small electronics, and all of our CDs and DVDs. All except one, the DVD boxset of Gilmore Girls. They took the entire CD collection that included various crappy 80s music and Serbian folk, but the Gilmore Girls boxset would have just been unnecessary weight while making off with the loot. As you can imagine, I took that opportunity to point out how much of a worthless piece of shit that boxset was, and that this new evidence supported my hypothesis.

    I haven't decided what this thread will be, perhaps comparing anecdotal justifications of crap, a Gilmore Girls bashing thread, or perhaps thieves' standards. I don't have a blog but I had to write this down somewhere.

  2. Lounge   -   #2
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    day book
    Posts
    10,853
    Quote Originally Posted by michael799a View Post
    thanks for post
    Thanks for using my thread to top off your 4 run spam posting spree where you say only "thanks for post".

  3. Lounge   -   #3
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,760
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    They took the entire CD collection that included various crappy 80s music and Serbian folk, but the Gilmore Girls boxset would have just been unnecessary weight while making off with the loot. As you can imagine, I took that opportunity to point out how much of a worthless piece of shit that boxset was, and that this new evidence supported my hypothesis.

    I haven't decided what this thread will be, perhaps comparing anecdotal justifications of crap, a Gilmore Girls bashing thread, or perhaps thieves' standards. I don't have a blog but I had to write this down somewhere.
    They were taking the piss out of you. They actually risked spending time sorting that box set out from the rest just to make the point that you had shit taste. You've got to love witty robbers.
    I feel the same way about my husband's Chuck Palahniuk books. Every time I look at them I'm reminded that no matter how nice he is, and how intelligent, there's still this small part of his brain devoted to loving banale faux-shocking bullshit of the type only men seem to get off on. Palahniuk only wrote one decent book, and coincidentally it was the only one where he was actually poking fun at blokes....then he started wanking off over jawless women and anal love beads and it got boring.

  4. Lounge   -   #4
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    day book
    Posts
    10,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    They actually risked spending time sorting that box set out from the rest just to make the point that you had shit taste. You've got to love witty robbers.
    Except they weren't even that witty, they left an undershirt and a pair of boxes. Also, one of them left behind a big oily fingerprint on a bottle of wine they were trying to open up. I must have interrupted them (they had a spotter?) since it looked like they left in a hurry. The stove was left on, with some cookware left out, they were apparently ready to prepare some dinner.

    I'm actually not familiar with Palahniuk, sounds Ukrainian.

  5. Lounge   -   #5
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,760
    Maybe they were preparing a special 'you've just been robbed' dinner for you and your wife? Something to keep up your blood sugar levels while you wait for the police to arrive.

    Chuck Palahniuk - wrote Fight Club, plus some other mediocre shock-fests designed to appeal to male university students.

  6. Lounge   -   #6
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    day book
    Posts
    10,853
    So that's who that was, our Fight Club DVD was also stolen in the raid...
    Wife was out of the country at the time, I guess I'm pretty garbage at holding the fort down. I do have a feeling they knew I was alone, and that they live in the same complex.

  7. Lounge   -   #7
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,760
    Do you have any crack addict brothers or sisters? I would definitely look there first.

  8. Lounge   -   #8
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    day book
    Posts
    10,853
    Friends were considered, but they were more the dealing type. It had to be neighbors, given the manner in which everything happened. The way our place is setup makes it quite inconvenient, to say the least, to rob any one of the places. And as far as I know, we have been the only ones to ever been robbed, with the exception of cars being broke into (which is quite easy to get away with). You would have to be very familiar with the place to do it. Anyways, I'd love to hear more dissing of terrible movies/books/music/tech/etc. I really wish other people had similar stories, I'd love to catalog them in my head for future anecdotes.

  9. Lounge   -   #9
    CQ1ST's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    247
    ok, so I'm a particular kind of person - I don't like ads much, tv ads, radio ads, blinking epi-f'n-leptic net ads
    but the flatmate loves tv like it's a comfort blanky and every night it's on from 6 'til 12pm at the loudest it can go because he's half deaf
    -frequent power cuts have killed the dvd-recorder, the laptop-charger, and a computer.. but still this fat ass tv lives on! Gilmour Girls, Desperate Housewives, Glee! ,and just a rerun of a rerun of any else that was annoying the first time ,and of course the ads

  10. Lounge   -   #10
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    day book
    Posts
    10,853
    Quote Originally Posted by CQ1ST View Post
    ok, so I'm a particular kind of person - I don't like ads much, tv ads, radio ads, blinking epi-f'n-leptic net ads
    but the flatmate loves tv like it's a comfort blanky and every night it's on from 6 'til 12pm at the loudest it can go because he's half deaf
    -frequent power cuts have killed the dvd-recorder, the laptop-charger, and a computer.. but still this fat ass tv lives on! Gilmour Girls, Desperate Housewives, Glee! ,and just a rerun of a rerun of any else that was annoying the first time ,and of course the ads
    Sounds like it's time to up the rent... to pay for the inconvenience charge. I guess he also watches American Idol, Jersey Shore, Model shows, and wedding shows too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •