Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scene E-Mail

Quote Originally Posted by antrax34130 View Post
    ok PetaByte how many ranked topsites are there atm? (just for checking)
    How the heck would I know? I don't run that mail. I use 9 sites, but I'm not a golden digger into the scene, I'm the lowest rank in it (all I do is help with server problems and therefore get axx).

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    And yet you almost know nothing about topsite ranking? :
    Ellipses go here.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rings View Post
    And yet you almost know nothing about topsite ranking? :
    Honestly, no. I just help when the server crashes/files go offline/SFV checksums. Every site has about 2 other ppl who do the same job as me, and I've never run into problems with the ranking system.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    A's Avatar ... BT Rep: +1

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Well this is nice. I understand what they meant when they said the public is an offense... they try to make one small contact with the public and they get barked at, even tho people live off scene releases. I don't know exactly how I become public enemy #1, but if it makes you satisfied: I'm sorry for sharing that mail.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    I'm good for you.
    Don't worry. Public forums are full of dicks. Another reason why an open for all email is generally not suited. Yes the scene is a secretive place, and to some extent this hidden cloak needs to be maintained, if we aren't just to allow anybody in -> I know the topic of scener arrogancy came up before, but there's a reason why we're all big headed... we're on 100mbit/1gbit/10gbit servers full of pirated content 10tbyte/100tbyte/200tbyte, we aren't about to give access to these to any old so and so -> they need to be able to give something back, and furthermore, need to be trusted 100%.

Ranked sites are hard to get on, and unless you're a racer I largely wouldn't expect most to know how the system works, as there are multiple criteria -> ultimately most won't give a damn, except those on said ranked sites. Since that TorrentFreak article on the subject it seems that anyone is willing to call anyone out.

You have to remember P2P is now just as corrupt by money as the scene - ELEKTRI4K4, responsible for most CAMs and R5s now, run their own site [id imagine they get a lot from advertising revs]. TWiZTED were running their own p2l site and still do, so finding new sources [especially free ones] is the largest challenge the scene faces. Do bear in mind this does not detract from the fact that someone needs to be encoding on the p2p site to be able to upload, so there are skilled people to be scavenged, just not content -> as they "step up the game", they will learn new skills, such as AVS scripting, special filters, by talking to people who have done it a lot longer than they have. Same should go for other areas.
    Last edited by TONiC; 04-18-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12