Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scene E-Mail

After talking and discussing this with a few other sceners, an e-mail has been created that the public can use to ask questions about the scene. You can also ask for axx, but then you'll need something in return.

E-mail:
    [email protected]

It's kind of the "official" e-mail, run by sceners that have been active for over 15 years, so feel free to spread it, so ppl can stop bothering the wondering groups.
    Last edited by PetaByte; 04-17-2011 at 07:22 PM.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    I'm good for you.
    Hope you're using 7 proxies [joke...] and not too much sensitive details in that email 'cos hushmail haven't held up in court before.

IMO, there is enough detail about the scene on the web already, especially on Wikipedia... if you're into physical literature, well Software Piracy Exposed is all you need too.

I'm sure what most of these groups get is "can you send me .r09 of ... plox" or "can I join you're group, I'm on scc", so prepare for a shitload.

However... this idea of a contact for the scene is not bad -> if the scene is to survive for the very long term, then IMO, it does need an active recruitment side scavenging people from P2P [in a way helping them make the transition into the "decent" scene, and not onto the P2L/scum end.] How well this can be implemented, is another matter.

You can also ask for axx, but then you'll need something in return.
    Not selling leech are we?
    Last edited by TONiC; 04-17-2011 at 09:05 PM.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Yeah, I know the risks of hushmail, but that email doesn't exactly send a lot of "insecure" mails anyway. It's questions and answers mostly, and sometimes ppl request scene axx (in which the conversation goes on through secure IRC chans).

And yes, there is a hell of a lot of info on the scene, but ppl don't seem to read it. Besides, that mail was created for more specific questions, while wikipedia seems to just spell out the basics.

And it's definately meant as a place for recruting ppl. The groups feature mails in NFO's, but they are bothered so much that was partly why this mail was created.

And I'm not sure if it's leech slots, I don't run that mail. But if it is, it's definately not topsite slots, maybe dumpsites, but I dunno... ask the guy

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    I'm good for you.
    And it's definately meant as a place for recruting ppl. The groups feature mails in NFO's, but they are bothered so much that was partly why this mail was created.
    Then I'd be going at this a very different route. The main issue is security here -> one email, being accessed by top sceners? You're asking for it eh...

First thing you have to drop is the whole "If you're a P2P user you're banned" ethos because frankly that just a double-standard, that could be putting potentially valuable users off [as they may have seen notices against it]. Ofcourse, leaking scene material and selling scene material would still be "offenses" so to speak, but maintaining an account on TorrentLeech because they have Cams/TSs/R5s is hardly a moral crime.

With this moral dam out of the way, you need to drop the email and have active recruitment -> sceners [who are also inevitable P2P users] scouring BT site's uploaders, forums, IRC looking for potential. TheBox.bz has around 40 cappers - you telling me a few of them aren't willing to step up the game and cap for whoever? As you're trying to tackle, the problem is the ease of communication, but again this is dependant on this [IMO insecure] email being spread through the grapevine so to speak - very unreliable. You need a "team" almost, from respective areas of the scene [tv, cd, xvid] who undoubtedly know the BT equivilant inside out [Im UK, and watch regular UK scene releases, and wouldn't know about TheBox.bz if I wasn't British]. Once said team has been established, then all they have to do is just start exploring -> who are the big names on the site, and why? Are they any use to the scene?

Yes it's more work than an email. But that's my theory [coming from someone with an INTJ personality here...]

Now if you don't mind, Ima get baked to Antiques Roadshow.
    Last edited by TONiC; 04-17-2011 at 09:51 PM.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by TONiC View Post
    Then I'd be going at this a very different route. The main issue is security here -> one email, being accessed by top sceners? You're asking for it eh...

First thing you have to drop is the whole "If you're a P2P user you're banned" ethos because frankly that just a double-standard, that could be putting potentially valuable users off [as they may have seen notices against it]. Ofcourse, leaking scene material and selling scene material would still be "offenses" so to speak, but maintaining an account on TorrentLeech because they have Cams/TSs/R5s is hardly a moral crime.

With this moral dam out of the way, you need to drop the email and have active recruitment -> sceners [who are also inevitable P2P users] scouring BT site's uploaders, forums, IRC looking for potential. TheBox.bz has around 40 cappers - you telling me a few of them aren't willing to step up the game and cap for whoever? As you're trying to tackle, the problem is the ease of communication, but again this is dependant on this [IMO insecure] email being spread through the grapevine so to speak - very unreliable. You need a "team" almost, from respective areas of the scene [tv, cd, xvid] who undoubtedly know the BT equivilant inside out [Im UK, and watch regular UK scene releases, and wouldn't know about TheBox.bz if I wasn't British]. Once said team has been established, then all they have to do is just start exploring -> who are the big names on the site, and why? Are they any use to the scene?

Yes it's more work than an email. But that's my theory [coming from someone with an INTJ personality here...]
    I agree it's a security risk, but again, I'm not running it. I think it's just one guy answering, and he's doing it all through a proxy, and some other security measures. I totally agree with you that scouring P2P for talents is a good way, but it's complicated as a lot of ppl there are merely just stealing from other sources and uploading... so it's getting to the bottom of which user is actually doing the work that counts. The email is a formality; in case some pro person emails, then he'll be thoroughly questioned.. and it's also to increase the public's knowledge of the scene. It's sad that so many ppl download scene files and actually don't even know what the scene is...

And it's no doubt that sceners are on P2P as well, cause that's just the way it is. No scener is 100% completely loyal. They might not directly be on a forum or uploading to a torrent site, but in some form or another, they have connections. Some of the sceners today even come from P2P, which is why "stolen.from.p2p" has become such a sad new nuke reason.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    newsgroupie
    Sceners have traditionally been a secretive, insular, and often downright arrogant bunch that turns its nose up at anything resembling 'public opinion' - they not only don't care what the public thinks, they don't even want their material ever becoming available to the public.

I would imagine that anyone who come out and issues a public announcement claiming to represent the "official" voice of the Scene is going to be laughed at - across the width and breadth of the scene. (not that I wouldn't mind a kinder, gentler, and less "1337" scene)

I'd be curious about these "sceners that have been active for over 15 years" - since virtually all really *active* sceners seem to have only been involved for a few years before eventually becoming scarce or dropping out entirely. Some groups persist, but with a different assemblage of active members.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    Sceners have traditionally been a secretive, insular, and often downright arrogant bunch that turns its nose up at anything resembling 'public opinion' - they not only don't care what the public thinks, they don't even want their material ever becoming available to the public.

I would imagine that anyone who come out and issues a public announcement claiming to represent the "official" voice of the Scene is going to be laughed at - across the width and breadth of the scene. (not that I wouldn't mind a kinder, gentler, and less "1337" scene)

I'd be curious about these "sceners that have been active for over 15 years" - since virtually all really *active* sceners seem to have only been involved for a few years before eventually becoming scarce or dropping out entirely. Some groups persist, but with a different assemblage of active members.
    Well honestly bro, I don't know what to say. The scene itself might be "secretive", but the ppl inside it aren't gods they exist, and can be tracked down by someone who really takes an effort into it (for example, I did, and now I'm on 9 sites and not even in any group). I started extensive researching, going through numerous hours of struggling, until I got to the bottom, and worked myself up with a share of good connections. So in all honesty, I was just told by the guy to spread it, and I did so I can keep my axx. Whether or not that makes me ridiculed and laughed at, that's my only connection to that mail.

But if this really causes a bunch of troubles, then you can go ahead and delete this thread. I didn't purposely create it for flaming, and I've done my job with spreading.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    gamesover's Avatar Panda BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Love the email address - the-scene@hushmail.com. Wow that must make it authentic .

Don't worry I'm sure you will get some dumbasses who will fall for it and send you their money.

The OP isn't much better than a spambot and anyone who knows the first thing about the scene or even filesharing in general will see through his sales pitch.
    Last edited by gamesover; 04-18-2011 at 01:00 AM.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by gamesover View Post
    Love the email address - the-scene@hushmail.com. Wow that must make it authentic .

Don't worry I'm sure you will get some dumbasses who will fall for it and send you their money.

The OP isn't much better than a spambot and anyone who knows the first thing about the scene or even filesharing in general will see through his sales pitch.
    Again, I'm not running it. And btw, this is the same guy that gave me axx to 3 of his sites, so he's not a phony...

And it's nice to see you guys standing up against this, but you should know the scene ain't no sacred place. It's regular people doing all of this, just like u... and honestly, I don't think u give the scene enough credits. If one email causes you to flame me like this, then you've obviously got some sort of grudge against the scene or whatever. Rest assured that's never the way to get any kind of affils... and btw, I paid for my first dumpsite... so people that sell leech slots are not always phonies.

Finally, I'd just like to add: If u don't trust the email, or whatever, then just don't use it. I didn't do this to get into an argument, I just wanted to keep my own affils. Looks to me like you think the scene is all about itself... do you know how many sceners do public interviews? (a lot)
    Last edited by PetaByte; 04-18-2011 at 09:20 AM.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    ok PetaByte how many ranked topsites are there atm? (just for checking)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast