Thread: Hd Space

When I go to check available HD Space on my C: Drive it will say I have like around a little over 4 gigs available.. then as time goes by a Harddrive Icon Shows up in my SYSTRAY saying that i have around 135 MB left and if I want to free up space. I Cleanout/Dump Temp Internet Files and Cache Rather religiously on a daily basis...Download and Update Virus Definitions daily..Keep Current with MS Updates..Run both Spybot and Ad-Aware daily as well. I'm kinda boggled as what is happening..iv'e tried getting info from other places..but no dice. Any at all info that might help would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance

specs:
    Intel P4 D845WN Mobo
    Intel P4 1.5 CPU
    640 SDRAM
    Windows XP Home Edition

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Do a normal scandisk to see if that sorts it out as its beening reported wrong a reboot might do the same thats what I do.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Try defragging
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Msi ms-6330
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    MSI 52X32X52 CD-RW (cr52-m)
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Creative Labs 5.1 Speakers
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Defrag every other day or so..and Run Scandisk regularly also. I do both of those all the time...Defragging doesn&#39;t Phase the Problem at all

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I heard quite a few people complaining about how fast their disk gets filled up. Some time ago I posted the answer to that question with a screenshot, explaining why it happens.

Most people don&#39;t really know how storage technologies work but in fact almost 1/4 of your disk space is wasted on slack space. And this gets even worse if you have your file system formatted at a very high cluster size like 4096 KB.

You should check with what allocation unit size your disk is formatted, if it is at 512 KB or default, you are fine but if it is anything above that you should consider reformatting your disk at a lower cluster size or allocation unit size.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    I heard quite a few people complaining about how fast their disk gets filled up. Some time ago I posted the answer to that question with a screenshot, explaining why it happens.

Most people don&#39;t really know how storage technologies work but in fact almost 1/4 of your disk space is wasted on slack space. And this gets even worse if you have your file system formatted at a very high cluster size like 4096 KB.

You should check with what allocation unit size your disk is formatted, if it is at 512 KB or default, you are fine but if it is anything above that you should consider reformatting your disk at a lower cluster size or allocation unit size.
    I agree always split large drives,you say C:&#092; how many more have you ?