Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best p2p networks/clients for passive mode / behind a router with no port forwarding?

bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Disme View Post
    J-DYE...is that you???
    Then he must have improved his English dramatically.
    Teh n00b.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    Then he must have improved his English dramatically.
    Damn, anyone got a copy? I'd love to be able to read that.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    Firewalled/low ID eMule clients put extra pressure on the servers, because of the callbacks. Since other, high ID clients can't connect to them directly, the server must tell the unreachable peer the IP of the high ID one, so that both can connect. This uses extra processing power and bandwidth, and doesn't happen when both peers are connectable.
    Good explanation. Much the same process happens on Bittorrent. However, the servers on Bittorent - in complete contrast to ed2k - never reject firewalled clients. The policy made a lot of sense a decade ago, when most ed2k servers were home computers with a sub-gigahertz processor and a couple hundred megs of ram, and the original ed2k server software was a lot less resource-efficient. It's sad that almost no one operates ed2k servers any more - I remember when there used to be many dozens of servers.
    Last edited by zot; 04-27-2011 at 03:05 AM.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    It's sad that almost no one operates ed2k servers any more - I remember when there used to be many dozens of servers.
    Yes, that's right. Years back there used to be dozens of good servers you could connect to. Now I can count the non-fake ones with my hands' fingers. Well, at least there's Kad...
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12