Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Memory

SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    i let windows take care of my virtual mem, that tops me out at 700 about... with a phisical 1gig ram and a total of 1700 MB ram

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    With RAM over 512 Mb, I think it's best to match pagefile size to physical mem size.

Read it somewhere.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    that would be allot... i don;'t knmow that i will ever use that much...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by SciManAl@11 November 2003 - 10:24
    allot... i don;'t knmow
    SciMan,

Your memory is probably fine, but I would install some more coordination maybe...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    hehehe i have terrible typing habits...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Poster
    This is my understanding...

The apparent optimum pagefile size is 2.5 times your actual physical RAM, so if you have 390MB of RAM installed, your pagefile should be set to 975MB.
    That's not a hard and fast rule, rather the quoted figure that I've seen on virtually every reference page regqarding Windows tweaking for about the past 6 years.

OK, it seems lots of you are wondering why XP uses the pagefile when there's plenty of free memory it could use up first...
    Many people have more than one application/program open at any given time and they all take up memory space; M$ decided that it would be more efficient if the programs that had been idle the longest were paged to disk, leaving more physical memory available to active applications - those that are being used. It is this design feature (heh I could've put that in quotes to demean it but I like the idea) that makes NBP thrash the disk first thing in the morning when I've left it running overnight and it's lain idle for a few hours.
    This feature doesn't choose which programs to do this to by judging how important they are because it doesn't know, so many background tasks that are idle will get thrown in the pagefile.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123