Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interested in starting file sharing site

zot: as TONiC mentioned, are you familiar with the infrastructure in Cuba, and the government's stance on Internet-related matters? For me, that country is out of the question.

About Spain not giving a fuck, what's up with the Sinde law?

If we're talking about safe havens here, I'm surprised no one mentioned my region (South America) yet. The infrastructure is "OK" and slowly improving, but for the time being no one seems to care about piracy sites. The company that hosts Taringa (probably the biggest local link sharing community) actually mentions how they're proud of doing that and therefore proving the extent of their fast and reliable hosting on their homepage. 'Nuff said...
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    I'm good for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    About Spain not giving a fuck, what's up with the Sinde law?
    Wikileaks exposed Sinde law as the America-rules-the-world legislation that it was, and ultimately it did not pass, and shall not pass [quote: Gandalf]. And I did say "other spanish speaking nations" before You guys sure do love your ED2K over there..
    Last edited by TONiC; 04-28-2011 at 06:37 PM.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by TONiC View Post
    And I did say "other spanish speaking nations" before
    Yes, that's correct. I retire what I said, sorry

You guys sure do love your ED2K over there..
    That's in Spain, as far as I know - they're true eD2K fans. The eMule userbase where I live isn't that big. People prefer to just stream everything and get what they want off file hosters these days. Ares reigned some years back because of its simplicity, content and speeds - you practically couldn't find an Internet-connected computer without that installed and running. Now those days are gone

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    I was looking at corenetworks.net. $30 for a starter dedicated might be all I need. However, they don't seem to accept libertyreserve. Frankly what I'm thinking of is a CentOS or Debian system (comfortable with both and both are very stable) using TrueCrypt to encrypt the system. I would like to get libertyreserve to handle transactions and use a pre-paid credit card to pay them. Plus only login to their site while using Tor proxy. Host it some where safe like Spain (for now) and get whois protection. That with indirect links, I think would offer pretty good protection, plus if I do ever get nailed I should be as anonymous as realistically possible. I don't see any holes in my logic does anyone else? Does anyone know of any cheap dedicated servers that support libertyreserve?

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by mydark View Post
    I was looking at corenetworks.net. $30 for a starter dedicated might be all I need. However, they don't seem to accept libertyreserve. Frankly what I'm thinking of is a CentOS or Debian system (comfortable with both and both are very stable) using TrueCrypt to encrypt the system. I would like to get libertyreserve to handle transactions and use a pre-paid credit card to pay them. Plus only login to their site while using Tor proxy. Host it some where safe like Spain (for now) and get whois protection. That with indirect links, I think would offer pretty good protection, plus if I do ever get nailed I should be as anonymous as realistically possible. I don't see any holes in my logic does anyone else? Does anyone know of any cheap dedicated servers that support libertyreserve?
    You forgot the most important part: Do not host it in the US of A.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Poster
    The countries that i would host in if i were you, would be USA, UK, Australia, or Germany. Those are certainly the safest havens to host filesharing sites in.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorx View Post
    The countries that i would host in if i were you, would be USA, UK, Australia, or Germany. Those are certainly the safest havens to host filesharing sites in.
    You're doing fine, but you could use a few more rounds on Trolling 101.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Poster
    i would also give out the IP lists, and personal information of all of my users,to the MPAA, RIAA, BRIEN, etc.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    newsgroupie
    Does anyone know how corenetworks.net treats copyright claims?

A lot of hosting providers are easily intimidated by threats and will immediately shut down a site at the first accusation, but a rare few have had the courage to stand up in the name of internet freedom. The Dutch host Leaseweb earned a reputation for standing up to the copyright cartel (and got a lot of torrent site business for awhile) but even they eventually folded from all the pressure. PRQ (of Pirate Bay fame) also had its time in the spotlight.

The main question is whether you want to try your luck as a pioneer or play it safe and stay in known friendly territory.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    I'm good for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    Does anyone know how corenetworks.net treats copyright claims?
    Seems like they are based in Michigan going by their contact address and a whois trace, so probably along the lines of the DMCA...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast