Thread: Linux Made Foolproof

Poster
    Looks a lot like mandrake linux and runs entirely from CD/ram. Run it in VMWare or reboot from cd. Any thing you screw up will be corrected with the next reboot. An excellent way to learn about linux without the instal hassles.

What is KNOPPIX®?
    KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-old-en.html

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Nice. Im sure a lot of new users to linux can find that quite convenient to use. Actually might be better for some to use knoppix instead of actually installing linux and then deciding that they dont want it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I don't suppose you'd have any info on installing evil entity undead onto the default scsi drive in VMware would you? I've tried a bunch of different things but the swap is never recognised. There seems to be a lot of people with this problem even using conventional /dev/hda but the developers are a bit arrogant and won't offer help on the instal of their program.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Hold on Im installing it now.

Im not using vmware though. I have a seperate machine to put it on. It sounds like an interesting distro. I like the fact its suppose to be catered to multimedia, tv, dvd and other fun stuff that most people do online to relax.

How are you installing it? Do you pre format your own linux partitions. ext2 and 3, and swap, etc. or do you let the installer do it for you?

Shame their site is down.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    There is no installer and they say there never will be. You have to manually install and format but the examples they give seem out of sequence and don't apply to scsi. I tried /dev/scsi 0:0 and that worked for the first partition but nothing works for the swap. It's even worse with their suggested commands. Once you create the primary partition, it asks if you're done and won't accept "no".
    Cfdisk(?) won't come up until you force an error so I think there is a bug. I even used volume manager to do the format and still it won't accept the partitions.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Yeah, I have that KNOPPIX CD. Very handy to let new users see what Linux is.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by DL.@9 November 2003 - 22:56
    There is no installer and they say there never will be. You have to manually install and format but the examples they give seem out of sequence and don't apply to scsi. I tried /dev/scsi 0:0 and that worked for the first partition but nothing works for the swap. It's even worse with their suggested commands. Once you create the primary partition, it asks if you're done and won't accept "no".
    Cfdisk(?) won't come up until you force an error so I think there is a bug. I even used volume manager to do the format and still it won't accept the partitions.
    Yeah I thought there was an installer. One of the links I saw said something about an installer but I clicked the iso image file instead. I have 14 minutes left on the iso download and I was going to install it, but since your having problems I may wait until I come home from class tommorow. Sounds like one of those headache matters.

I had a similar problem with gentoo but after some effort got it to work.

Shouldnt you be passing a few options to the kernel before boot since your using a scsi drive? I believe so. How did you boot into installation? I mean it loaded a default kernel image right? You should get a prompt like this:

boot: "here is where you pass your options to the kernel for your scsi drive"

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn@10 November 2003 - 05:16

Shouldnt you be passing a few options to the kernel before boot since your using a scsi drive?

Oh, sure! Of course I did

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Did you get it working?