Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bittorrent On A 56k ?

I am sick of kazaa but only have a 56k modem, would this be any good for d/l torrents ? ie suprnova

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    You would get the same download speeds no matter what client you use.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Msi ms-6330
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    MSI 52X32X52 CD-RW (cr52-m)
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Creative Labs 5.1 Speakers
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Originally posted by toonmental@11 November 2003 - 11:44
    I am sick of kazaa but only have a 56k modem, would this be any good for d/l torrents ? ie suprnova
    lots of ifs and maybes for this question...
    i used dailup and bt for several months and was able to dload several large movie/tv files...the only thing about the dialup problem i found was the pc would not redial after the 5hr cut off my isp had...but....if i ran another program that required the net to be connected(such as kazaa) it would redial for the other program and then bt would auto resume the dload/s fine..only other problem bt has is the ratio for up to down loads...but easily overcome by installing a program like netlimiter..this way you can set your upload speed to a point where it wont stop any dloading..this way at least you do upload some and dload at your max..im sure if you werent able to dload (due to upload taking all bandwidth) you would not use bt and then the small amount of upload you could give wouldnt be available to others..so any amount is better than none to keep the network alive...as with kazaa the network relies on ppl sharing and as with kazaa you will find fast files and slow files depending on the files you want at the time..
    give it a try you will at 1st be dissapointed but eventually you will see it works with dialup...well thats how my experience was with bt on dialup..

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    first of all your in the Questions section under the Kazaa Lite Related category (look up).

now using BT would give you just a slow results as Kazaa would. I would use BT because of the built in error checking that Kazaa doesn&#39;t have. I know that using 56k can sometimes mess up your downloads. The only problem with using BT would be that you are uploading while you are downloading. This makes 56 K even slower but if your just gonna download thing overnight then it doesn&#39;t really matter.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    U would probably get slower speeds with BT.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by toonmental@11 November 2003 - 11:44
    i&#39;ve tried netlimiter and it doesnt seem to limit the uploads in bittorrent. I&#39;ve got shadows bittorrent so maybe that somehow bypasses it?
    My advice: with your 56k modem how much dl speed do you get? around 8KB/s max, right? Now the thing with torrents is that they dont last long. So if its a big file youre trying to get, the file could be removed half-way through and you&#39;ll be left with nothing. So if ure sick of kazaa try shareaza instead.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    what is shareaza ? is it diferent to kazaa ?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by toonmental@11 November 2003 - 16:25
    what is shareaza ? is it diferent to kazaa ?
    apparently is MUCH better. kazaa has only 1 network whereas shareaza has 3networks. It also lets u get torrents with several advantages, they dont dissappear. See this (theres a link in there for shareaza):
    http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=80842

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster
    bittorent sucks on 56k, k-lite is probaly the best for 56kers

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Again doesn&#39;t matter what client you use, you use dialup, so regardless of client don&#39;t expect high increase in DL&#39;s.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast