Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Does UseNetServer & News Demon Compare To Giganews?

Poster
    I've been with Giganews for years now, with no complaints about retention or speed. However, I'm starting to look at price more closely. How does UseNetServer & News Demon compare to Giganews overall? I appreciate any feedback.
    Last edited by orgzzs; 05-15-2011 at 08:34 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster
    Nwsdemon blows hardcore. Usenetserver and newshosting are only a bit better because of there lower price than newsdemon. They are all provided by highwinds and completion really sucks on several levels. Your best bet is eithr usenetnow or astraweb but remember! Usenet provider opinions arelike assholes everyone has there own. Don't trust the "review" sites because they get paid to say what you see written.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    i don't know if people who complain about newshosting actually use it, but it's a lot better than people let on it really only falls out somewhere between the 600-700 day mark.
    you've had giganews for years you probably already have all the 650 day stuff you want, for newer stuff and even most older stuff another server will work great.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    I'm using AW and Supernews (GN) now and it's cheaper than GN.
    I download 500+GB/month and have nothing to complain about.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by orgzzs View Post
    I've been with Giganews for years now, with no complaints about retention or speed. However, I'm starting to look at price more closely. How does UseNetServer & News Demon compare to Giganews overall? I appreciate any feedback.
    Since your basically happy with Giganews service (not price) then switching to 'Supernews' might be an option also. 'Supernews' is owned by Giganews and charges a lot less money. You could get unlimited 'Supernews' for $9.99 a month. There is a link to that special price around. Google for it. The only catch is Supernews retention is locked at 800 days. They have raised their retention in the past but there is no guarantee. Depending how much stuff you download that is over 800 days, a usenet block account with a provider could be used to get stuff over 800 days. The money you save would be more then enough to buy the usenet blocks. As others have mentioned, Usenetnow.net and Astraweb are also good choices.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Not a fan of Giganews or their resellers as I think they have largely preyed on people who thought they were the best and charged outrageous prices for as long as they could and in fact still are...I use newshosting and have nothing but good things to say about them. Right now their retention is at 1004 days and the unlimited accounts are $9.99/month
    Digital World...You can't handle the Digital World! What did your Mom buy you a PUTER for Christmas!
    http://usenetgeeks.com

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Poster
    I'm not a fan of Giganews either. The OP's only concern with his experience with Giganews was price. He' happy with Giganew's service. For him, switching to Supernews would save him money and still get the Giganews service he's happy with. I don't understand why people are pay that much for Giganews usenet. Not when their is less expensive alternatives out there.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    newsgroupie
    There are many decent brands to choose from, I think the primary rule should be NEVER PAY MORE THAN $11/MONTH for unlimited. All the major providers/resellers offer it for $10-$11/month, usually through "limited time" specials that can last for years.

I would avoid Newsdemon, Usenetserver, and Newshosting -- and all other Highwinds resellers -- because the completion on old files is by far the worst of the major back-ends. Astraweb and Readnews (sold under Usenetnow and nGroups) are much better at the present time. Supernews is essentially Giganews with 20% less retention and 50% lower price.

Lastly, beware of accepting advice from people who personally profit by steering you to a paid-commission link.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    i would say that the best available options are:

- Astraweb+ Blocknews block account

- Supernews + Blocknews block account

and perhaps this ( did they fix extremely slow speed on old files? can anyone with 100mbit line confirm it?)

-Usenetnow + astraweb block account (not so sure about this combo, but still.)

Personally i prefer the first one.
    Last edited by Hypatia; 05-17-2011 at 08:10 AM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    I thought UseNetNow is Highwinds? If they aren't, then whose servers do they use?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast