What's this "Under Trump" deal?

Is he 'over' something?
    Besides overrated and overexposed?
    Overtly racist?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #52
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Trump is a self-promoting caricature.

That is all.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #53
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Way to pee on 9's hope there, Kev, Trump was his dream candidate.
    I'm guessing he moves to Santorum now.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. The Drawing Room   -   #54
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Way to pee on 9's hope there, Kev, Trump was his dream candidate.
    I'm guessing he moves to Santorum now.
    Only now is he "moving out to college". It might take him a year or two before he tries santorum

5. The Drawing Room   -   #55
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post

The industrial revolution, my good man. When you say "mass production", and "first" I think of british canneries and the like. Not saying Henry Ford or his conveyor belts weren't brilliant, or owt, though.

Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    So, we Americans shouldn't claim credit for ruining the entire planet, rather better to just suffer the blame for having done it?
    Bit of a leap from one to the other, but if that's you want to take from that, why not?

On a slightly less vague note, I do think that America's influence on ways of doing business and financial policies around the world is huge. Not everywhere, but enough so it seems that it, as a nation, should take some of the blame for turning the world more towards a more callous kind of capitalism (or capitalism at all)*. Personally, I think that had gotten even more noticeable under Trump. But then again, maybe I'm overestimating what he could have done for or to America and in extension the rest of the world.

*Not that the EU isn't doing its part.
    That you would even think to say "turning the world more towards a more callous kind of capitalism...under Trump" is a pretty solid indication of the pervasive type of mis-perception that prevails in your neck of the woods, Snee.

That last part is the worst, though - "under Trump"?

Egad.
    Under. As in with with him somewhat in charge of the USA. Or, at least influencing your policies the same way other presidents have done.

As for the rest, to name an example of callous capitalism: Over here, the concept of being guilty until proven innocent was a largely uncommon idea, legally speaking. But thanks to primarily american owned companies pressuring and lobbying, an addendum to our copyright laws was made allowing companies to start sending out letters demanding huge and disproportional fines for file piracy, and suing people through civil court.

The proposal for what I'm talking about came through the EU (although also originally heavily influenced by american companies and willed into being by the same), but the implementation of it (to a harsher extent than asked for by the EU) had companies pouring money into lobbying our politicians into making the "correct" decision. It was also passed without being put to a vote, which is still strange to some of us (although understandable, as they'd never gotten it passed otherwise).

But that's really just an example, another one would be what Bob mentions about Trump in Scotland.

Point is, american companies have grown a bit too huge and influential, and can get away with things I'm not comfortable with, just by pouring money at the right targets. This in turn probably means that other companies will band together and follow suit to stay competitive.

And speaking of banding together, I'm pretty sure we'd not have the EU, or the EU playing as big a part, in our lives without the US needing to be countered.
    Last edited by Snee; 06-11-2011 at 10:49 AM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #56
    Point is, american companies have grown a bit too huge and influential...
    You're referring to multinational corporations, they pledge allegiance to profit, not America.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #57
    Under. As in with with him somewhat in charge of the USA. Or, at least influencing your policies the same way other presidents have done.

As for the rest, to name an example of callous capitalism: Over here, the concept of being guilty until proven innocent was a largely uncommon idea, legally speaking. But thanks to primarily american owned companies pressuring and lobbying, an addendum to our copyright laws was made allowing companies to start sending out letters demanding huge and disproportional fines for file piracy, and suing people through civil court.

The proposal for what I'm talking about came through the EU (although also originally heavily influenced by american companies and willed into being by the same), but the implementation of it (to a harsher extent than asked for by the EU) had companies pouring money into lobbying our politicians into making the "correct" decision. It was also passed without being put to a vote, which is still strange to some of us (although understandable, as they'd never gotten it passed otherwise).

But that's really just an example, another one would be what Bob mentions about Trump in Scotland.

Point is, american companies have grown a bit too huge and influential, and can get away with things I'm not comfortable with, just by pouring money at the right targets. This in turn probably means that other companies will band together and follow suit to stay competitive.

And speaking of banding together, I'm pretty sure we'd not have the EU, or the EU playing as big a part, in our lives without the US needing to be countered.
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Point is, american companies have grown a bit too huge and influential...
    You're referring to multinational corporations, they pledge allegiance to profit, not America.
    Yeah, that ^.

Snee:

How do you feel about George Soros?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #58
    惡魔的提倡者

He is hated because of his political leanings. If it wasn't for them he would be a conservative hero of Reagan proportions.
    When I was a kid I was told "We do these things not because they're easy, but because they're hard"

Now all I hear is " I won't do anything unless there's something in it for me"

9. The Drawing Room   -   #59
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post

He is hated because of his political leanings. If it wasn't for them he would be a conservative hero of Reagan proportions.
    He is "hated"?

By whom?

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #60
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    He is "hated"?

By whom?
    By Rupert Murdoch and the Koch brothers, for starters.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast