Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump calls it quits

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Is anyone really surprised that Donald Trump won't be your next president? Really?
    Snee, old pal, you would not believe the respect that frigging clown gets in some quarters.

Enough for several-times-several news cycles, as we've seen.

However, knowing Donald as we do, we could predict with certainty that, if it weren't for Celebrity Apprentice, and the camera time it represents, Donald might have stuck it out another week-or-two.

Frankly, it comes down to a fear of press conferences - I mean, too much bullshit is too much bullshit, and even the press knows that.

Trivia:

I can name-drop Trump.

My little sister has taken his deposition on several occasions, and recorded him on any number of others; last time he brought her a bottled water, which she refused, of course.

Apparently she hurt his feelings.

Remember the NYT article recounting his 'testimony' swearing up-and-down as to his billionaire status?

That was her.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Is anyone really surprised that Donald Trump won't be your next president? Really?
    Snee, old pal, you would not believe the respect that frigging clown gets in some quarters.

Enough for several-times-several news cycles, as we've seen.

However, knowing Donald as we do, we could predict with certainty that, if it weren't for Celebrity Apprentice, and the camera time it represents, Donald might have stuck it out another week-or-two.

Frankly, it comes down to a fear of press conferences - I mean, too much bullshit is too much bullshit, and even the press knows that.

Trivia:

I can name-drop Trump.

My little sister has taken his deposition on several occasions, and recorded him on any number of others; last time he brought her a bottled water, which she refused, of course.

Apparently she hurt his feelings.

Remember the NYT article recounting his 'testimony' swearing up-and-down as to his billionaire status?

That was her.
    Trump was the only candidate who dealt with the core issue facing America: as a nation, we cannot continue to spend more than we take in.

That is true for government, but also for us on a national level. We cannot continue to spend more of our money on foreign made goods than we sell to other countries. Ultimately this trade deficit is what is causing our economic problems as well as our government deficits.

The only candidate who even dared to mention the idea of tariffs on Chinese made goods was Trump. He was the only one who admitted that they are not playing fair with us, and the only way to deal with their use of slave labor and unfair monetary practices is to make Chinese made goods more expensive to buy than American made goods, and thus we would start manufacturing things here again.

Ultimately, it is difficult to build a strong economy by delivering pizzas to one another, rather than manufacturing things and selling them to other people. Until we figure that out as a nation, we aren't going to turn this thing around.

So, there goes another 4 years down the drain.
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    Trump was the only candidate who dealt with the core issue facing America: as a nation, we cannot continue to spend more than we take in.

That is true for government, but also for us on a national level. We cannot continue to spend more of our money on foreign made goods than we sell to other countries. Ultimately this trade deficit is what is causing our economic problems as well as our government deficits.

The only candidate who even dared to mention the idea of tariffs on Chinese made goods was Trump. He was the only one who admitted that they are not playing fair with us, and the only way to deal with their use of slave labor and unfair monetary practices is to make Chinese made goods more expensive to buy than American made goods, and thus we would start manufacturing things here again.

Ultimately, it is difficult to build a strong economy by delivering pizzas to one another, rather than manufacturing things and selling them to other people. Until we figure that out as a nation, we aren't going to turn this thing around.

So, there goes another 4 years down the drain.
    Yeah surely, we need Trump to lecture us on trade deficits with China:
    http://www.salon.com/news/politics/w..._made_in_china

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    惡魔的提倡者
    How are tariffs on imported goods going to reduce manufacturing costs here? American companies can manufacture here and compete on price with imported goods. The problem is they can make more profit by outsourcing their labor to sweatshops in third world countries while selling the product here for the same price.

Government hasn't caused outsourcing, ignoring the fact that we allow tax breaks for American companies that do it, the private sector is wholly responsible for our loss of manufacturing. Of course the fact that we as a nation don't try to buy American made goods is the real fuel for the vehicle.

I know Clocker will probably make a comment about the quality of American made goods, but that is a result of a profit driven desire to race to the bottom. It appears that in America there is a desire to become a third world society where labor is as disposable as the goods they produce. Quality, it appears, has been deemed bad for the bottom line. Why make a light bulb that lasts for a decade? It doesn't cost much more to produce it, but you can make them to only last a year and force the consumer to replace it.
    When I was a kid I was told "We do these things not because they're easy, but because they're hard"

Now all I hear is " I won't do anything unless there's something in it for me"

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Maybe we should go back to bartering.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Maybe we should go back to bartering.
    And soon you'd look out your window to see Trump bartering with your property.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    He is already doing it. He is creating 'The best golf resort in the world' in the north of Scotland. He is also railroading anyone who stands in his way. He put a fence round one of the protesting properties and sent the owner a bill for the work.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    He is already doing it. He is creating 'The best golf resort in the world' in the north of Scotland. He is also railroading anyone who stands in his way. He put a fence round one of the protesting properties and sent the owner a bill for the work.
    Well, then.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    I know Clocker will probably make a comment about the quality of American made goods, but that is a result of a profit driven desire to race to the bottom.
    And here I am.
    Oddly, I don't recall ever vilifying American manufacturing expertise, after all, we basically invented mass production and were certainly the first society to really enjoy the fruits of said production.
    America had a standard of living in the 1960's that most countries have yet to reach today but that heyday is long gone.

I doubt-no, change that, I KNOW we could not put a man on the moon today...because there's no immediate profit to be made.
    America morphed from making durable goods into making money and the further from the physical, the better.
    Why make a widget when a credit default swap is so much easier and more profitable?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Oddly, I don't recall ever vilifying American manufacturing expertise,
    I haven't said you had.

You have, however, bemoaned the quality of American made products. It's not that they don't have the expertise to make quality products, it's that they decided to make sub standard products, for whatever reason.

I seem to recall a comment from you when I suggested that American biker patriotism saved Harley Davidson.

I doubt-no, change that, I KNOW we could not put a man on the moon today...because there's no immediate profit to be made.
    While I find it odd that it would take us 10 years to produce a craft suitable for the task 4 decades after we did it with less computing power than found in a mid nineties automobile, I wholehearted believe that the private sector would never have achieved this, for the profit reason you pointed to.

America morphed from making durable goods into making money and the further from the physical, the better.
    Why make a widget when a credit default swap is so much easier and more profitable?
    Can't disagree much with that.
    When I was a kid I was told "We do these things not because they're easy, but because they're hard"

Now all I hear is " I won't do anything unless there's something in it for me"

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast