Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump calls it quits

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    I seem to recall a comment from you when I suggested that American biker patriotism saved Harley Davidson.
    Almost certainly I did...my disdain for HD runs deep.
    While I find it odd that it would take us 10 years to produce a craft suitable for the task 4 decades after we did it with less computing power than found in a mid nineties automobile, I wholehearted believe that the private sector would never have achieved this, for the profit reason you pointed to.
    The moon landing is a sterling example of the kind of project that only a government can pull off, mainly because of the lack of an immediately apparent profit path.
    There certainly was a wealth of money to be made off the various technologies that the space effort produced however.

Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    America morphed from making durable goods into making money and the further from the physical, the better.
    Why make a widget when a credit default swap is so much easier and more profitable?
    Can't disagree much with that.
    It's the mantra of our times.
    "Easy, cheap & profitable" defines the new American entrepreneur.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    I seem to recall a comment from you when I suggested that American biker patriotism saved Harley Davidson.
    Almost certainly I did...my disdain for HD runs deep.
    I had a moment of boredom to fill, this was what I was trying to recall.

The whole concept of "Buy American" has always escaped me.
    To knowingly and willfully invest in a substandard product seems like the very antithesis of being American.

Don't get me started on Harley Davidson...my hatred is deep and boundless.
    On a side note, re. the subject of that thread, it appears that the bailout worked. I make no comment as to the quality of the product, but at least one section of American manufacturing is still running today because of government emergency loans. I use loan instead of bailout because it is being payed back (apparently with interest, so the taxpayer is going to make on the deal).
    When I was a kid I was told "We do these things not because they're easy, but because they're hard"

Now all I hear is " I won't do anything unless there's something in it for me"

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    Harley is a special case and I refrain from using them as an exemplar of American tech.
    HD builds inferior crap because that's what their customers want, not because they can't do any better.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I'll bemoan the quality of american made products too.

Not everything. You've got as good small businesses and craftsmen as any, but some of the large production factory-made stuff is as bad as crap out of Hong Kong or mainland China (not saying crap is all they make either, mind you).

we basically invented mass production and were certainly the first society to really enjoy the fruits of said production.
    Err, no.

I wouldn't argue with the rest though, other than to say that putting profits above all else is getting all too common elsewhere, too, sometimes with american influences speeding that up.

But be all that as it may, the fact that Donald Trump gets taken seriously in the political arena by anyone reads like some kind of joke. He's a mentalist. But then again, so is Ron Paul, and half the internets loved him the last time around.
    Last edited by Snee; 06-09-2011 at 08:53 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    we basically invented mass production and were certainly the first society to really enjoy the fruits of said production.
    Err, no.

I wouldn't argue with the rest though, other than to say that putting profits above all else is getting all too common elsewhere, too, sometimes with american influences speeding that up.
    So, we Americans shouldn't claim credit for ruining the entire planet, rather better to just suffer the blame for having done it?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    Err, no.
    Explain, please.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1

Err, no.
    Explain, please.
    The industrial revolution, my good man. When you say "mass production", and "first" I think of british canneries and the like. Not saying Henry Ford or his conveyor belts weren't brilliant, or owt, though.

Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    So, we Americans shouldn't claim credit for ruining the entire planet, rather better to just suffer the blame for having done it?
    Bit of a leap from one to the other, but if that's you want to take from that, why not?

On a slightly less vague note, I do think that America's influence on ways of doing business and financial policies around the world is huge. Not everywhere, but enough so it seems that it, as a nation, should take some of the blame for turning the world more towards a more callous kind of capitalism (or capitalism at all)*. Personally, I think that had gotten even more noticeable under Trump. But then again, maybe I'm overestimating what he could have done for or to America and in extension the rest of the world.

*Not that the EU isn't doing its part.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    Explain, please.
    The industrial revolution, my good man. When you say "mass production", and "first" I think of british canneries and the like. Not saying Henry Ford or his conveyor belts weren't brilliant, or owt, though.

Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Bit of a leap from one to the other, but if that's you want to take from that, why not?

On a slightly less vague note, I do think that America's influence on ways of doing business and financial policies around the world is huge. Not everywhere, but enough so it seems that it, as a nation, should take some of the blame for turning the world more towards a more callous kind of capitalism (or capitalism at all)*. Personally, I think that had gotten even more noticeable under Trump. But then again, maybe I'm overestimating what he could have done for or to America and in extension the rest of the world.

*Not that the EU isn't doing its part.
    That you would even think to say "turning the world more towards a more callous kind of capitalism...under Trump" is a pretty solid indication of the pervasive type of mis-perception that prevails in your neck of the woods, Snee.

That last part is the worst, though - "under Trump"?

Egad.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Snny Snee is correct Kev. You are looking at the U.S. from the inside. The rest of the world has the opposite view.(nothing like stating the obvious ). From my experience 'outsiders' percieve the U.S. the same as many Americans percieve Texans(sorry Skiz ), loud, abrasive, intrusive and railroading at every opportunity. A statement I heard often in my sojourns to your part of the world was. 'You can always tell a Texan, Nothing'.

If you ever wonder why the U.S.(At the moment) is reviled by the rest of the world, the above statement will give you a rough idea.

p.s. I have some friends who are American(Not anymore!.)
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Snny Snee is correct Kev. You are looking at the U.S. from the inside. The rest of the world has the opposite view.(nothing like stating the obvious ). From my experience 'outsiders' percieve the U.S. the same as many Americans percieve Texans(sorry Skiz ), loud, abrasive, intrusive and railroading at every opportunity. A statement I heard often in my sojourns to your part of the world was. 'You can always tell a Texan, Nothing'.

If you ever wonder why the U.S.(At the moment) is reviled by the rest of the world, the above statement will give you a rough idea.

p.s. I have some friends who are American(Not anymore!.)
    Off-point, Robert.

What's this "Under Trump" deal?

Is he 'over' something?

Something I don't know about?

Is he being prosecuted, over there?

Sounds like he should be...if not, why not?

Can't you deal with Trump?

-Mark Twain

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast